No federal taxes were taking out of my paychecks and I owe $3-7000, because my employer marked me exempt. Should I sue?

Asked about 2 years ago - Sacramento, CA

I have worked for the same company for 6 years. I have claimed zero since BIRTH. Last year they asked me to fill out a fresh one. As always I claimed zero. I went to do my taxes and was told I owe because no federal has been taken out all year. I work for a corporate chain so I called my work and they said I claimed zero, but the home office and pay roll say I claimed exempt. I dont have the money to pay my taxes and it is there fault. They are not helping me deal with their mistake. Do I need a lawyer and what kind of lawyer is appropriate?

1. Henry Daniel Lively

3

Answered . The tax is your responsibility whether they withheld the tax or not. Your paycheck was bigger as a result of not taking the taxes out. You should have noticed this on you check stub as well. You have no damages other than a possible penalty that may be charged for under withholding. I just do not see a lawsuit here. You should make sure that your paycheck has the correct withholding in the future. You can enter into a payment arrangement for what you owe now and ask your employer to pay the penalty if it was there fault. Check the W-4 you submitted first to make sure it was there error.

2. Frank Wei-Hong Chen

3

Answered . No, you cannot sue.

The payment of income taxes is your personal responsibility, regardless of whether your employer withheld the proper amount of tax.

You need to make sure you have a correct W-4 on file with your employer.

3. Phillip Monroe Smith

3

Answered . Unfortunately, there is not a lot that you can do if you recieved all the income. An employee that claims exempt (wrongfully or rightfully) is still liable for the taxes because they are benefiaries of the income, not the employer.