No-fault NJ. Compensation for vehicle accident. I am a bicyclist.

Asked about 2 years ago - Montvale, NJ

Last year when I was riding a bike, a car bumped me at a stop sign. He did not see me. I fell down from the bike and was sent to emergency room by 911. Nothing broken. MRI says it's good. But the doctors and Independent Medical Evaluator say I do need an arthroscopic surgery for my knee. Almost one year. How much can I ask for the compensation from the driver's insurance company? When will my right forfeit? Thanks a lot!

Attorney answers (10)

  1. 9

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . New Jersey Personal Injury - Auto Accident - Arthroscopic Knee Surgery - Case Valuation - Statute of Limitations. By Patrick Amoresano - If the driver of the car was completely at fault, and was the sole cause of your needing arthroscopic surgery on your knee ( presumably to treat torn meniscus and/or problems with your patella), your case has potential five figure value, assuming your injuries aren't any more serious than that. You should contact a local New Jersey Supreme Court Certified Civil Trial attorney practicing personal injury law right away. You have 2 years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit, unless you are under 18, in which case you have until your 20th birthday.

  2. 10

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Hire a personal injury for help with this, that way you can maximize the recovery you get from the insurance company. Good luck!

  3. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Continue to handle this on your own, and probably continue to botch it up. Retain local and qualified personal injury counsel. What intersection; I probably live within minutes of it? Good luck.

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and... more
  4. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Well that does sound like a serious case if you require surgery. Without looking at your medical records and knowing if you have any prior injuries I would not settle for less than 35,000, and you could probably get more if you retain counsel.

    If you would like to discuss it further please feel free to contact me at:

    This response is not legal advice and should be considered as attorney advertising. No attorney client... more
  5. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I would review your police report as well as your medical report. Have you notified the vehicle's insurance company that there is a bodily injury claim? I can't recommend a demand until you are finished treatment. I can tell you that arthroscopic surgery is very painful as is the rehabilitation. Please be advised that there is a 2 year statute of limitations of 2 years from the date of the accident. This means a lawsuit must be filed prior to the two years.

    Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to... more
  6. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Did you have MRI or CT for your knee(s)? Did you report to the driver's insurance company your injured knee(s)? You have two years to file your case since the incident (statute of limitation). You shall find a personal injury lawyer. Based on the information you provided, you can get something from the driver's insurance company. How much? I need see your police report, MRI report and your doctor's notes.

  7. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There are a plethora of factors which go into putting a number on a case. You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a top-rated Avvo lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer. Thus, don’t get hurt twice by paying a huge fee. Good luck.

    Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755
  8. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Find a local area personal injury attorney at the earliest possible time and turn your claim over to that attorney for handling. You definitely need help. Be aware too that quite often local area personal injury attorneys provide a free consultation and are up to date on the law of the state. Find one that is experienced and knowledgeable in personal injury and one that you feel comfortable in dealing with. I am sorry that your knee will require arthroscopic surgery. Best of luck.

    Mr. Crosner is licensed to practice law in California and has been practicing law in California since 1978. The... more
  9. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . So many of my colleagues are correct -- you need local counsel to help!

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more
  10. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to the "find a lawyer" tab and look for a lawyer to assist you.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Personal injury lawsuits

Personal injury lawsuits allow an injured person to seek compensation for the injury, either by court decision or through a settlement.

Jared E Everton

Injured at Daycare or Preschool

When a daycare facility or preschool accepts responsibility to care for your child, they must follow through on that obligation. If a child is injured by another child while in the care of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,972 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,972 answers this week

3,760 attorneys answering