No drivers license, no insurance got into an accident and he was at fault, what can happen now?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

my daughter's roomate took the car last night to buy something at the grocery store, he didn't have license neither car neither insurance, and my daugther car didn't have insurance do to non payment. He got into an accident and it was his fault.

what can happpen to her right now, her car is really bad and she still making payments. As a mother I'm really worry because she never told me that she didn't have money to pay for the insurance.

1. Dennis Michael Phillips

8

Answered . I don't know what they are; but insurers need to follow certain formalities in order to cancel a policy for non-payment. If they fail to do so, my understanding is that the "insured" can reinstate the policy retroactively by paying all premiums due. If I were in this situation, I would run my facts by Edrick Barnes in West Palm Beach. He is a whiz with insurance coverage issues.

2. Joseph John Bernardo

Pro

5

Answered . That will depend on whether she is legally cancelled for non payment of premiums and/ or the terms of her policy. There may be a denial of coverage for instance because she let a non licensed driver operate her car. There are too many variables to get a complete answer on this forum. She will need to talk with her insurance company, preferably after talking with an attorney that practices in the area of insurance coverage. The local bar association of the county she was in should be able to give you names of those who practice in that field, or use the Avvo tool to locate one.

3. Jason Todd Studinski

5

Answered . Consult with a local lawyer to review the facts and circumstances of your case in greater detail. Answers to these types of insurance issues are highly dependent upon the specific facts and the specific law of your jurisdiction. Best to get local help. Good luck.

Pro

2

Answered . There is a lot of case law on lapses, so contact an insurance lawyer to investigate