No court date on traffic ticket

New Jersey |

The officer didn't put a court date on my ticket. Am I obligated to call the court to schedule a date? What would happen if I don't do anything?

1. These kinds of errors do not invalidate the citation. They might raise potential defense arguments.

You might find my Legal Guide helpful " What Do I Tell My Lawyer?"

http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/what-do-i-tell-my-lawyer

Online we cannot know what the other details are going on in your case because online we cannot find out those details. You need a lawyer. Check with a lawyer in your locale to discuss more of the details to call the court .

Good luck to you.

God bless.

NOTE: This answer is made available by the out-of-state lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney that practices in the subject practice discipline and with whom you have an attorney client relationship along with all the privileges that relationship provides. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question.

2. Call the Court and ask what the court date is, as this deficiency will not invalidate the ticket. If the Court sets a date and you do not appear, the Court will likely issue a warrant. If the warrant is issued, the NJ MVC will suspend your license until the warrant is lifted, and you will not be able to drive until you pay to have the licese re-issued. Good luck.

DISCLAIMER While I do practice law in your State, this answer is provided for informational purposes only. If you call the firm, we would be privileged to try to answer your other questions. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.

3. Call the court, if the number is not on your ticket, find the number here: http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/directory/munctadr.htm

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck - Jeff Barile

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided solely for informational/educational purposes. This answer does not constitute legal advice, create an attorney-client relationship, or constitute attorney advertising.