No Contest plea: Infraction: if you do a No Contest: are you able to answer the question : ever been convicted: NO, or ?

Ontario, CA |

If anyone asks afterwards--does it count as guilty and you must answer YES??? Would that mean that for every traffic ticket anyone paid--as an infraction --they were guity???

1. a no contst plea is treated as a guilty plea by the court accept that the plea itself cannot be used in a civil proceeding against you.

2. It equates to a guilty plea for criminal purposes but is not an admission of guilt/liability for civil purpose.

3. So on a job application, you must disclose as a conviction if they ask. Many employers have specific look back periods. The US government asks about all charges (not convictions) in the past seven years andnthere are a few have you EVER questions...BTW if you fjail to disclose on a federal form it is new dishonest conduct and no matter how old it is and mitigated by time the new dishinest conduct probably wont be...

This is for general information only. Nothing in this information should be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship nor shall any of this information be construed as providing legal advice. Laws change over time and differ from state to state. These answers are based on California Law.Applicability of the legal principles discussed may differ substantially in individual situations. You should not act upon the information presented herein without consulting an attorney about your particular situation. No attorney-client relationship is established.

4. A plea to nolo results in a conviction. Hence your answer to the question "Have you ever been convicted?" is "yes."

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.