No children, uncontested divorce. Have separation agreement-not filed it with courts yet. Have divorce packet forms.

Asked almost 5 years ago - New York, NY

confused what our next step is without all the additional expenses. Do we first file the separation agreement or include with divorce packet? What do we need to do so we can move forward. Thanks.

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . I strongly urge you to discuss your options with a family lawyer who can advise only ONE of you. NYS is not a no fault state and divorce and separation documents need to be just right or the court sends them right back.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Legal terms used in litigation………………………………………………………..

Divorce in General and How It's Handled in New Jersey
    Financial Dos and Don'ts after a Divorce (written by Attorney Gabriel Cheong)

FYI my law partner James DeFelice practices family law in your part of NYS. You can access his contact information on his avvo profile or on our firm’s website: www.sarnoanddefelice.com

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.