Skip to main content

NJ state legalized same sex marriage. Can I marry my long time partner (US citizen) and obtain green card through marriage?

Fair Lawn, NJ |

Green card, immigration, marriage to US citizen (same sex)

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Yes, once you are married to a U.S. citizen, you will be eligible for a green card as long as you meet the eligibility requirements to adjust your status in the U.S.

You should consult with an experienced immigration attorney to assist you throughout the process.

USCIS has published frequently asked questions based on the Supreme Court’s United States v. Windsor ruling, which invalidated part of the Defense of Marriage Act and opened to door for green cards for foreign nationals same sex marriage.

Mr. Asatrian's practice is dedicated to the area of immigration and nationality law. Please note the information provided herein does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such by anyone. It should not be relied upon as legal advice as more specific facts, research and analysis may be required to formulate a proper strategy and action in your matter. Please note this does not create an attorney-client relationship whatsoever. You should seek the assistance of an experienced immigration attorney to review your matter thoroughly and gather all of the necessary information and documentation to provide you with the best possible legal solution.


Possibly yes - speak with an immigration attorney to see if you are eligible to Adjust Status. Your manner of entry (how you entered the United States) and MANY other factors will determine your eligibility. It is best that you consult with an experienced immigration attorney prior to filing.

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:


Possibly. IF you marry a US citizen, including a partner of the same sex, you may obtain a green card as long as you otherwise qualify based on how you entered the US , your immigration history, criminal history and other relevant factors. Consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss in more detail.


If entered legally and no criminal and other issues barring admissibility, yes, you could.

Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.


If you meet the rest of the criteria, yes.

973-984-0800. Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advice and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer