NJ criminal code, assaulting a police officer

New Jersey |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I spit on a policer officer and was charged with assult on an officer. What is the minimum and the maximum I could recieve. I plan on getting a lawyer.

Various assault charges hold various penalties, generally this sounds like a misdemeanor and you could get up to a year in jail and fines. If there is a felony the time could be considerably longer, YOu are wise to retain a good CRIMIANL DEFENSE LAWYER.

What would be the min charge? In CA it's a class 6 felony with a 6 month min jail time. That includes police, fire, and ems personnel.

Anthony John Colleluori

Anthony John Colleluori

Well Midemeanor assault in NYis an "A" misdemeanor which carries up to a year in jail and a1000 Dollar fine or a 3 year probation. If it were a felony assault on a police officer then it is a "D" Felony carries a 2 1/3 to 7 year determinative sentence and a 5000 Dollar fine.