Next step. I'm a 1099 contractor and client is holding up payment with a list of demands which seem spurious and obstructionary.

Asked over 1 year ago - Providence, RI

These items are requested and I'm not sure they are reasonable.
(fiy, I book service jobs for a flat 10% of what I sell, payable upon my client's completion of job)
1. Contact information for all pending or potential prospected work yet to be performed. [this seems vague and too broad]

2. Copies of all correspondence and emails ever sent by you to our clients, or prospective clients, or to our personnel, from inception. (as a contractor using my own email account is this realistic?)
3 Executed Non-Disclosure/Compete Agreement (to be provided upon satisfaction of items listed ( I don't have such a doc and client will not provide it).

1. Answered . Get in touch with an employment law attorney. Most attorneys will provide a free consultation and can guide you through the next step, whatever it may be. If you are concerned with breach of contract on their end you should get an attorney's opinion sooner than later. The general advice given on this website will not be sufficient to guide you.

2. Answered . It sounds like the questioner may be setting you up for problems with the Rhode Island Contractors Registration Board, the RI Department of Labor and Training (possibly the prevailing wage division or the wage and hour division), the Internal Revenue Service (employee v independent contractor issues), or some other government agency.

I suggest you consult your attorney before responding to the questions.