Next of Kin rights and the estranged spouse ?

Moline, IL |

My boyfriend and his wife have not lived with each other for over 10 yrs does his wife still have next of kin rights before his children ?

1. No formal divorce, no formal separation, it would be very hard to prevent her from making a claim.
    Illinois may have specific rules on this of which I am unaware, but he should formalize his relationship with her for your sake and that of his children.

You might find my legal guide on selecting and hiring a lawyer helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Is it Legal? Is it Illegal? helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on the understanding the different court systems helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on legal terms used in litigation helpful.
    (Even if you are not filing a lawsuit this information can be useful).

You might find my legal guide on Estate Litigation (with a will) helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on Estate litigation (without a will) helpful.

You might find Gabriel Cheong’s legal guide on the do and don’t of finances after a divorce helpful.
    You might find my legal guide on divorce in general and in NJ helpful.
    (Much of this information is valid for unmarrieds who have children together).

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information.