New US citizen petitioning for family members here on very expired visitor visas - Can it be done?

Asked over 1 year ago - Riverside, CA

I recently because a US citizen. I have two children I brought here in 2007 on visitor visas which has obviously expired. Along with them my parents came here too - also on visitor visas. Now I am trying to correct everything. Does anyone know if the proper steps to adjust my childrens statuses? In addition - what can I do to petition for my parents? Is there anything I can do? I am unsure if I would qualify at the noted financial level but they are my primary babysitters while I am working.

Additional information

** I should clarify - I am unsure if I would qualify to sponsor both parents because I am certain I do not meet the financial requirements

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Tripti Sharad Sharma


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . As a U.S. citizen you can petition for parent and children. Having said that it is very important you seek professional help before you file the petition and/ or before your relatives plan to leave the U.S.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known.... more
  2. Natalia Polukhtin

    Contributor Level 13
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . You do not provide enough information to give you a complete answer. Generally, if your children are under 21, you should be able to get a legal status for them, as well as for your children. You need to meet with an immigration lawyer to evaluate your income and assets to make sure that you have financial capacity to sponsor all your family members. Otherwises, you may find a co-sponsor.

    Nothing in this post shall be construed as a legal advice. If you need advice regarding your particular situation,... more
  3. Eric Elliot Ludin

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees


    Answered . I agree with Mr. Randolph. Considering what is at stake and how important it is that this be successful, you really need to talk to an attorney and run these issues by him/her. The attorney should help prepare the petitions as well.

  4. Justin G. Randolph

    Contributor Level 16


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . You shouldn't try this alone. Use an attorney. How old are the children?

    My answering this question does not form an attorney-client relationship. Always retain a qualified attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,472 answers this week

3,249 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,472 answers this week

3,249 attorneys answering