New Renter, Homeowner Fighting Foreclosure; Homelessness Prevention. What are my rights?

Palm Beach, FL |

I am a new renter at my current address. I recently found-out that my landlord is also defending against foreclosure. I'm concerned that I might be evicted too, but I learned that under the Helping Families Save Their Homes Act of 2009, tenants are allowed to either stay in the unit for the remainder of their lease, or for a minimum of 90 days.

Is this true and, if so, do I have to present myself at the upcoming court hearings? Do I have to get involved in my landlords legal case? It's not the bank that is foreclosing, however; it's the HOA. How will I have to deal with them?

I have a two-year lease and children. Is there ANY other Florida law that would prevent eviction/ homelessness because of my children?

Thank you.

You won't be affected until AFTER foreclosure. The new owner will either ask you to move or allow you to stay under a new lease. You have comfort in knowing you probably have the 90 day protection of the act that you cited.

Is it ONLY 90 days, or can I stay for the length of the full lease? Thanks again.

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Cheryl Rivera Smith

Unfortunately, no. Perhaps the new owner will allow you to become their tenant!

Recommended articles about Real estate