Skip to main content

New owner had land surveyed - he says my building is on his property - the building was built in 1932 and is listed on my deed

Johnsonville, SC |

can he make me remove my building?

The building is a permanent structure not moveable

Attorney Answers 2


Read up on the topic of adverse possession. I think it requires 20 years possession in SC. You have over 80 years. That will be enough in any jurisdiction. Do not discuss this with your neighbor. In may states if a person in your position asks the neighbor to give a deed to the disputed area, that is treated as evidence of no adverse possession. Find a real estate lawyer who can discuss adverse possession with you off the top or her or his head. If the cannot do this, fine another lawyer.

DISCLAIMER The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. Responses are based solely on Pennsylvania law unless stated otherwise. When answering questions on AVVO, attorneys are prohibited from directly soliciting business. Don't take this as an indication of lack of interest. Follow my answers to other questions on Twitter @LandLawyer James S. Tupitza 212 West Gay Street West Chester, PA 19380 610-696-2600

Mark as helpful

4 lawyers agree


No on the facts you provided. See a property attorney ASAP--DO NOT speak to the neighbor again about the issue until you have retained a local property attorney. Best of luck to you.

READ THIS BEFORE CALLING OR EMAILING ME: I am licensed to practice before the state and federal courts in Virginia. We have not established an attorney-client relationship unless we have a signed representation agreement and you have paid me. I give a 100% effort to get you on the right track with your issue. Sometimes that means legal educational information, sometimes that means counseling and non-legal guidance. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree

State, local, and municipal law topics

Recommended articles about State, local, and municipal law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics