New Mass Alimony Reform Law: how judges reacting now to ending alimony when reaches retirement?

Asked over 1 year ago - Needham, MA

Any feedback related to new law and how MA judges ruling in alimony modification. Those reaching retirement age could file 3/1/13. Middlesex County or other MA courts.
-Marriage was 16 years (paid over 80% required) and still working but full retirement age.
- Any case feedback perhaps filed under new law in new divorce that would give guidance?
- Any where party still paying child support too in addition to alimony--did that affect it?
-Do you see more parties settling out of court instead of going to court?

All feedback and recommendations welcome under this new law with not knowing what judges are thinking. Will they uphold the law?

1. Thomas J Callahan

3

Best Answer

Answered . The law is still new for us too, and the appellate courts haven't weighed in yet. Judges at a seminar in my county all seem ready to uphold the new time limits, and from what I've heard it's being done. But judges have discretion to just modify, and each case will still turn on its own facts. If the receiving spouse risks penury thru no fault of his/her own while the other lives the life of Riley, i.e., the extreme case, expect that the law, which allows for extension, will also be applied.

2. Melissa Anne Levine-Piro

3

1

Answered . My experience is that the judges are upholding the law. I would advise sitting down with an attorney and reviewing your separation agreement and specific situation in order to receive a more accurate and personal answer.

Best of luck,

Melissa Levine
    www.levinepirolaw.com

3. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . I was at a seminar yesterday, and it seems to be at variance, but
    with a tendency to modify or terminate from the few judges who were
    present.