New Mass Alimony Reform Law: how judges reacting now to ending alimony when reaches retirement?

Needham, MA |

Any feedback related to new law and how MA judges ruling in alimony modification. Those reaching retirement age could file 3/1/13. Middlesex County or other MA courts.
-Marriage was 16 years (paid over 80% required) and still working but full retirement age.
- Any case feedback perhaps filed under new law in new divorce that would give guidance?
- Any where party still paying child support too in addition to alimony--did that affect it?
-Do you see more parties settling out of court instead of going to court?

All feedback and recommendations welcome under this new law with not knowing what judges are thinking. Will they uphold the law?

The law is still new for us too, and the appellate courts haven't weighed in yet. Judges at a seminar in my county all seem ready to uphold the new time limits, and from what I've heard it's being done. But judges have discretion to just modify, and each case will still turn on its own facts. If the receiving spouse risks penury thru no fault of his/her own while the other lives the life of Riley, i.e., the extreme case, expect that the law, which allows for extension, will also be applied.

To questioners from West Virginia & New York: Although I am licensed to practice in your state, I practice on a day-to-day basis in Massachusetts. I answer questions in your state in areas of the law in which I practice, and in which I feel comfortable trying to offer you assistance based on my knowledge of specific statutes in your state and/or general principles applicable in all states. It is always best, however, to work with attorneys and court personnel in your own area to deal with specific problems and factual situations.

2. I was at a seminar yesterday, and it seems to be at variance, but
    with a tendency to modify or terminate from the few judges who were
    present.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

3. My experience is that the judges are upholding the law. I would advise sitting down with an attorney and reviewing your separation agreement and specific situation in order to receive a more accurate and personal answer.

Best of luck,

Melissa Levine
    www.levinepirolaw.com

Melissa Levine is a licensed attorney in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by Attorney Levine answering your question. It is advisable to consult with an attorney about your personal legal concerns.

Alimony topics