New job offer - Can they check/use my credit info in decision process?

Sacramento, CA |

I recently received an offer of employment in a non-managerial financial analyst role at a professional services firm (not a bank or financial institution). They required I sign and agree to a "consumer report" which may contain credit information, etc., however I understand that California law limits how consumers' credit information can be used for employment purposes. The report will be provided by LexisNexis. I have no criminal history or public records and recently passed a background check however I am concerned that my credit history and/or student loan debt may have a negative impact on my job offer.

I got the offer through a recruiter, after four rounds of interviews as well as a professional reference check. What information can they use, given the nature of the position?

1. For a good treatment of this issue, please see the following link:

http://www.smartcredit.com/blog/2011/11/02/california-limits-the-use-of-credit-reports-for-employment-screening/

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.