New internet startup needs advice

Asked about 2 years ago - Boston, MA

I am looking to create a new internet business. The nature of the business will be a blog about orthodontist procedures. Such as the different types of braces describing the pros and cons of each. The main audience will be people which are thinking about going for orthodonture treatment. For the site to earn revenues I plan on selling ad space to orthodontists within the local area. The site would be targeted towards a given state such as Texas for example. The domain would be something like texas-orthdontist.com Is there any problem with that domain name? Other orthodontists in Texas would pay a monthly fee to advertise on my site. I would have a banner ad for them on my site saying they are the “featured” orthodontist within the state of Texas. In addition I would have a terms of use and a disclaimer on the site. Furthermore I will be setting up an S corporation as well. Is there any other steps I can take to reduce legal liability? Any advice is appreciated.

1. Anthony Rao

1

Answered . Create a corporation to protect yourself from personal liability. I do not understand your question about the domain name itself. And finally, I would highly recommend that you stop posting the details of your business idea, as I could turn around right now, retain a web designer's services and start this exact business. I would highly suggest you delete these posts. Good luck!

2. Herbert Warren Cooper IV

Pro

1

Answered . Your best and easiest step to reduce legal liability would be to contact a good business attorney - there are so many potential pitfalls here that you really need to be very careful. If this is anything more than a hobby, you should approach it as a business and spend the money to get good advice tailored to your specific situation, including from an accountant. E.g., will you have to register to do business in Texas and pay taxes there? Do you want to subject yourself to the jurisdiction of Texas courts? A reminder - corporate form helps protect you against contract liability- but if you personally commit a tortious act, you're still likely to be on the hook (think "insurance"). Good luck!

3. Pamela Koslyn

2

Answered . My advice is to stop posting versions of the same question here and retain your own lawyer.

4. Konrad V. Sherinian

Pro

1

Answered . One issue that will come up is whether your site crosses the boundary from providing information about orthodontist procedures to giving advice about orthodontic procedures. I strongly advise you to discuss your site with an attorney before you put it up, and consider a procedure to vet content.