New business - and self - being slandered. Do I have legal recourse? Is there anything I can do to stop this?

Asked over 1 year ago - Gainesville, FL

It has come to my attention through previous co-workers/vendors that I and my new company are being slandered. I am now a direct competitor to previous employers, having gotten state licensed/insured. When these people realized I'd started my company and won many contracts, a couple began to contact potential suppliers and "warn" them to be careful with me. According to my previous co-workers & vendors, I've been accused of such things as stealing equipment. It also appears they've spoken to project managers of jobs we were all bidding on, which I did not get, according to one that although I exhibited the most expertise and best pricing, they chose to go elsewhere. Is there anything I can do? This behavior is limiting my ability to get terms with vendors and jobs for which I'm qualified.

1. Heather Morcroft

3

Best Answer

Answered . You need to speak with a personal injury attorney familiar with both defamation claims and intentional interference with a business relationship claims. Personal injury attorneys generally give free initial consultations. Be aware that proof may be an issue, particularly when it comes to damages, which you will need to show so try to collect as much information as possible to show that you are in fact losing jobs because of this and what kind of money those jobs would have brought in.

***Please be sure to mark if you find the answer "helpful" or a "best" answer. Thank you! I hope this helps. ******
  2. Russell Warren Lewis IV

Pro

1

1

Answered . I agree with attorney Morcroft. A local attorney may be able to help you stop this and/or seek damages for this conduct.

Pro

2

Answered . Best bet is to have one of the above lawyers in your state investigate.