Neighbor's sprinklers wetting our cars & ruin paint job

Asked 11 months ago - Glendale, CA

We live in a small unit apartment in California. We also have a neighbor behind us in which they run their sprinklers 3x daily their plants. Our cars are parked and are being wet every single day. We have taken pictures and videos for proof to show our manager. We asked our manager to speak with the neighbor's manager to stop this because it is bothering us, not to mention it is hard water that is ruining our car's paint. It seemed to us that our manager did his best but the neighbor still disobeyed. My wife and I went there ourselves and spoke with the manager ourselves but the manager seems to be very disrespectful and rude. He said that they have been doing it for a while; it's just water. I asked him nicely that we were advise to file small claims for damages but he took as a threat.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Sagar P. Parikh

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Have you tried talking to the neighbor's directly or talking to the neighbor's manager? If that doesn't work, you can have an attorney write a letter as this would be a potential nuisance claim.

  2. Pardis Patrick Ashouri

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Write a letter and document it to the neighbor and neighbor's landlord. Not manager but the landlord. Talking often does not get attended to. If there are losses then small claims court would seem to be the venue.

    What do you do when it starts raining? Not that we have had much of that lately!

    Good luck.

    In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor... more
  3. Shawn B Alexander


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the previous answers and send notice in writing to the property owner of record. It is technically a trespass, but in reality it is a waste of water to water cars. If you do not get a response take the owner to small claims court. However you will have to prove damages , and that will require an expert and some bids for repair.
    Good Luck

    Please be sure to indicate the best answer. If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Only. If... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,912 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,912 answers this week

3,306 attorneys answering