Neighbor is changing story and lying to police about how damage occured to their car, what should I do?

Buffalo, NY |

My neighbor told me last Sunday that his new car got damaged, hit 3 times to be exact, from parking in the church parking lot across the street. We
have a shared driveway and he doesnt want to deal with it so he parks across in church lot.
Today he blocked my car in the driveway. My niece went to pick up my son from school. She got in the car, backed up a little, put it in park and went to ask them to move their car. Before she could make it to the door they came out accusing her of hitting their car. They told her they "heard" her hit it. When police came they lied to police and told them she admitted doing it, apologized and it went from them hearing it to seeing it. They dont have any windows that they could get a view of the cars. The police gave him my insurance info, what do I do?

It was Sunday 3/23 that he complained and said church people hit him. At the same time he mentioned his father was having mini heart attacks and can no longer drive. However, I have seen him driving the car. Also, On Sunday they were talking about suing his mothers caregiver and suing his wifes old boss. These people are trying to scam me. They dont work and I am pretty sure they are looking for free money. She did not hit their car. She did not apologize. They said they heard it yet police said it is only a scratch. Neighbor says its a crack.

1. Take photos of the vehicles, ask the police to amend the report to at least add your niece's version and contact your insurance company to let them know what's going on.

Disclaimer- The information you obtain at our web-site or through postings on such sites as this is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for specific advice regarding your individual situation. Any response given here is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response may change appropriately.

2. Contact the police and tell them your side of the story. Otherwise, turn it over to your insurance company and let them investigate and handle it. That's why you have insurance...

THESE COMMENTS MUST NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE. Comments made on websites such as Avvo.com are provided for information purposes only, and you should not base a decision to act or refrain from acting based upon this answer. The only way to determine how the law may apply to your particular situation is to consult with an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. Answering this question does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation. That relationship is established by the execution of a written agreement for legal services. Also, see Avvo's terms and conditions of use, specifically item 9, incorporated by this reference.

3. First I would notify your insurance carrier because if these people are as bad as you think they are, then it is likely that they are going to make a claim or file suit. If you don't advise your insurance company then the company may lose time investigating these people, or worse potentially disclaim coverage because you didn't give them timely notice. Second, there are insurance fraud numbers for the state government that you can call and you should because this sounds like insurance fraud. Third, I would consider contacting the police that took the report and advising what you have posted. It is not clear whether you or anyone in your family were interviewed by them. Finally, I would determine whether the church has video surveillance of the parking lot or a maintenance person who worked while the car was in church parking lot and might be a witness, and if so, let your insurance company know that. They generally keep video for thirty days or less. If what you say is true, these people hurt all of us and they demean and threaten the judicial system, so take appropriate action working with your carrier and law enforcement.

The answer to this question is for general purposes only and does not establish an attorney-client relationship, and is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation.