Neighbor hit my car parked on the street. They didn't have insurance. They still haven't paid me. How do I collect?

Asked over 1 year ago - Decatur, AL

Can I still collect or take them to small claims court even though I don't have the vehicle anymore. I traded it in to get a new car, yet they have not paid me a single penny since the accident.

1. Matthew C Simon

Pro

4

Answered . Your own insurance MAY cover you under an Uninsured Motorist provision. Alternatively, you could take them to Court. I hope you retained your records evidencing the amount of money you had to pay to get it fixed. A lawyer may or may not take this case depending on the amount of money owed. Good luck.

2. David B Pittman

Pro

3

1

Answered . Take them to small claims court. That is your only viable legal remedy.

3. Colin Edward Flora

3

Answered . Mr. Pittman and Mr. Simon are both spot on. If you think that your neighbor has the money to ultimately satisfy a judgment then the small claims approach is probably the way to go. That is, assuming that your damages are less than the small claims cap which is usually several thousand dollars. Further, if you have UIM coverage in your insurance, you will certainly want to consider that avenue.

Pro

2

Answered . Have your own insurance company resolve it, or small claims court.

5. Cameron Lee Hogan

Answered . You can take her to small claims court, but your UM coverage will not cover it. In Alabama, UM coverage only covers personal injuries, not property damage. You would need to have collision or comprehensive coverage for your own insurance to cover it. Under either of those coverages, you will have to pay a deductible, so you may want to still consider small claims court. Small claims court in Alabama is very "user friendly" and you do not need an attorney.