Neighbor going through messy divorce. Husbands attorney continues to delay. Is there any recourse she has to push this forward?

Asked about 1 year ago - Jackson, NJ

Her husbands attorney has postponed court in the 11th hour 8 different times. She is very frustrated and needs this to be behind her. I feel badly, it seems like they are jerking her around. BTW. The settlement is millions, could this be why?

1. Kenneth A White

Pro

1

Answered . Without an opportunity to review the file it is impossible to opine whether your friend is being disadvantaged or otherwise harmed. Generally, courts (Judges) have a strong desire to have all divorce matters resolved (off their Docket) as soon as possible with the understanding that there is mandate to conclude all divorce matters within one (1) year, absent exceptional circumstances.

If your friend has doubts about the efforts being made by her attorney she may wish to seek a second opinion. Otherwise, she should be putting he full trust in her current attorney as trust between a client and his/her attorney is the most basic element of a good client/attorney relationship.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.

2. Peter Joseph Lamont

Pro

Answered . I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. In particular, does the neighbor have an attorney? If so, this question is best directed to her attorney.

3. Marina Ginzburg

Pro

Answered . Your neighbor's attorney would be better at answering this. Adjournment usually require notice/consent of the other party. What reasons is the case being adjourned for? What stage is the divorce in?