Neighbor going through messy divorce. Husbands attorney continues to delay. Is there any recourse she has to push this forward?

Jackson, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce

Her husbands attorney has postponed court in the 11th hour 8 different times. She is very frustrated and needs this to be behind her. I feel badly, it seems like they are jerking her around. BTW. The settlement is millions, could this be why?

I would need more information before I could provide you with a proper response. In particular, does the neighbor have an attorney? If so, this question is best directed to her attorney.

If you found this Answer helpful, please mark it as "Best Answer". Your feedback is greatly appreciated. Peter J. Lamont, Esq. Law Offices of Peter J. Lamont 623 Lafayette Avenue, Suite 2, Hawthorne, NJ 07506 Phone: (973) 949-3770 Fax: (866) 603-0471 Toll Free: (855) NJLAW01 (855) 655-2901 Additional Offices in New York, Monument, CO, San Juan, PR and affiliates throughout the country. PLEASE NOTE: The above statements are provided for informational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. Transmission of the information is not intended to create, and the receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship between sender and receiver. You should not act or rely on any information contained on this site without first seeking the advice of an attorney.

Without an opportunity to review the file it is impossible to opine whether your friend is being disadvantaged or otherwise harmed. Generally, courts (Judges) have a strong desire to have all divorce matters resolved (off their Docket) as soon as possible with the understanding that there is mandate to conclude all divorce matters within one (1) year, absent exceptional circumstances.

If your friend has doubts about the efforts being made by her attorney she may wish to seek a second opinion. Otherwise, she should be putting he full trust in her current attorney as trust between a client and his/her attorney is the most basic element of a good client/attorney relationship.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

Your neighbor's attorney would be better at answering this. Adjournment usually require notice/consent of the other party. What reasons is the case being adjourned for? What stage is the divorce in?

Recommended articles about Divorce