Neighboor Shot and Killed My Cat (Continued)

Uniondale, IN |

I found out that this neighbor two houses away (700') is a police officer in a small town ten miles away. I talked to him at his workplace and he rudely told me he was tired of cats in his (4 acre) yard. I told him that there were many stray animals in the area besides cats. He also said "by the time he would go into the house, (to get his gun?) the cat would already be gone." In the evening, I am now under a surveillance system by the police officer and another neighbor who hates cats. I am now feeling harassed by both individuals-one who has vandallized my house and automobiles because of cats. Do I have a chance going against the "law?" Thank you for your time and response.

Sounds like a pretty tough case as far as getting compensation for your cat. Yes, you have a chance. I would contact an animal attorney to represent you.

If you have proof that the person vandalized your house, other than just a suspicion, you can bring a claim for damages against the person and get an anti-harassment order.

A criminal lawyer may have a good handle on how to show harassment by the officer.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.

2. If you don't already have a lawyer, hire one to help you. The law is complex and there may be things that can be done that you didn't know about. Good luck!

If this answer was helpful to you or if it was the best answer, please click the buttons that state helpful and best answer. Please understand that all of my answers are for informational purposes only, are not legal advise, and do not create an attorney-client relationship between you and me. I am not your attorney and you are not my client unless we enter into a signed contract. My only legal advise to you is that you should immediately consult with and hire a lawyer and that you should not represent yourself. If you want to more information about personal injury, visit http://www.sainjurylawyer.com or if you want more information about criminal defense, visit http://www.giardinolawfirm.com. Good luck!

3. While I agree with my colleagues that you should speak with a local attorney I want to point out that there is an easy fix - keep your cats inside.

If we do not have a signed fee agreement I am not your attorney and this is not legal advice.