Negotiating with Auto Insurance Company about Pay-out for Totaled Car

Asked over 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

My car was recently rear-ended by another vehicle and totaled out by my insurance company (I put the claim through my own carrier to expedite the process). However, I do not agree on the amount my insurance company is offering me (about $1500 lower than my car's actual value). Since that time, I have been trying to negotiate for more money. Today, my adjuster sent me an e-mail that stated the following: "I just noticed that the vehicle is still at the shop and accumulating storage fees. We need you to release the vehicle to us, so that it can be moved to a no-fee storage facility." Am I required to release the vehicle to my insurance company, before an agreement is made on the pay-out? If I do not comply with her request, can this action be held against me in some fashion? Please advise.

1. Steven Mark Sweat

9

Answered . If you were injured, you should hire a personal injury attorney in FL.

Pro

9

Answered . Have a local insurance lawyer help you out with this.

3. Olga V. Blotnis

6

Answered . I agree with others that an attorney would be in the best position to help here, since they know how to deal with property damage and they know your rights. However, I don't see why you don't want to move your car to a no-fee storage facility. At this point, all insurance companies should've inspected the vehicle. Unless, you want to keep it , but you might be responsible for storage fees. If you don't agree with the amount, you can talk to the other insurance company and go through them. Regardless of which company you are going to use, you need to gather the evidence as to why your vehicle is worth more. In addition, there might be loss of use, taxes, registration, etc. available. There is much more to it, than you might think.

4. George Costas Andriotis

Pro

4

Answered . Consult with an attorney before taking further action as its the only way to be sure you get everything you deserve. Best of luck.

Call for a free consultation at 727-937-1400 or visit us on the Web at www.serviceandjustice.com.
  5. Nathanael Prada

3

Answered . If your vehicle is accumulating storage fees, the insurance company may reduce your settlement by the storage fees amount. Contact a local personal injury attorney as soon as possible if you had injuries as a result of this accident. Best of luck.