Negotiating a purchase and sale

Asked over 1 year ago - Beverly, MA

I signed an offer to purchase and now have to do a purchase and sale agreement. Can any of the dates on the initial offer be changed? I think my realtor may have been too aggressive in setting dates and I am finding I may not be able to have the mortgage set in such a short time. I don't want to risk my deposit.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Herbert Warren Cooper IV


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Frankly, you'd be well-advised to get an attorney. Although an attorney who only represents you is preferable, some lenders will let you chose your own closing attorney, and you may be able to get a "package deal" from such an attorney.

    Otherwise, an experienced attorney will be able to help you deal with your issue. Generally, the terms of the Offer will be incorporated into the P&S, except where the parties negotiate different terms. Spend a little money on having an attorney represent you through closing, and don't regret, after the closing, issues that might have been solved prior to closing.

  2. Laurel H. Siegel

    Contributor Level 7


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The Offer itself is a binding agreement, making its terms, including dates, firm and you cannot change them without the agreement of your seller. However in some cases the seller will be agreeable to changing the dates if it is explained that the original dates may not be achievable and why. You should ask your broker to go back to the seller to see whether they will agree to extend the dates.

  3. Henry Lebensbaum

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Usually. Consult an attorney

    henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

    Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex... more
  4. Christopher W. Vaughn-Martel

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . You need an attorney immediately. This is probably the largest purchase you will make, and a buyer's attorney typically charges between $400-800 to represent you in the purchase. It is money well spent.

    Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts.... more

Related Topics

Real estate

The term real estate means land and items permanently attached to it, like buildings. This area of law deals with who has the right to own and use these items.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,307 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,307 answers this week

2,843 attorneys answering