Negotiating a purchase and sale

Beverly, MA |
Filed under: Real estate

I signed an offer to purchase and now have to do a purchase and sale agreement. Can any of the dates on the initial offer be changed? I think my realtor may have been too aggressive in setting dates and I am finding I may not be able to have the mortgage set in such a short time. I don't want to risk my deposit.

1. The Offer itself is a binding agreement, making its terms, including dates, firm and you cannot change them without the agreement of your seller. However in some cases the seller will be agreeable to changing the dates if it is explained that the original dates may not be achievable and why. You should ask your broker to go back to the seller to see whether they will agree to extend the dates.

2. Usually. Consult an attorney

henry lebensbaum esq 300 Brickstone Sq Ste 201 andover, ma -- attorneylebensbaum@verizon.net (978) 749-3606.
    Criminal Law (all courts), Drunk Driving, Drugs, Violence, Sex Offenses, theft, SORB, Divorce Child Custody Alimony Child Support & Modification, Contempts & Paternity Juveniles Domestic Violence & Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury, Guardianship, Conservatorship & Estate Administration & Legal Malpractice. For these & other areas, contact me. Email sent may be copied intercepted or held by computers.

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

3. Frankly, you'd be well-advised to get an attorney. Although an attorney who only represents you is preferable, some lenders will let you chose your own closing attorney, and you may be able to get a "package deal" from such an attorney.

Otherwise, an experienced attorney will be able to help you deal with your issue. Generally, the terms of the Offer will be incorporated into the P&S, except where the parties negotiate different terms. Spend a little money on having an attorney represent you through closing, and don't regret, after the closing, issues that might have been solved prior to closing.

4. You need an attorney immediately. This is probably the largest purchase you will make, and a buyer's attorney typically charges between $400-800 to represent you in the purchase. It is money well spent.

Christopher Vaughn-Martel is a Massachusetts lawyer with the firm of Vaughn-Martel Law in Boston, Massachusetts. All answers are based on generalized Massachusetts law and the limited facts presented by the questioner. All answers are provided to the general public for educational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship is formed by providing an answer to a question. If you would like an attorney with Vaughn-Martel Law to review your specific situation and provide you with legal options or information specific to you, you may schedule a telephone or office by calling 617-357-4898 or visiting us at www.vaughnmartel.com. Our office charges $100.00 for a consultation, and applies your consultation fee to your first bill if the Firm is hired to perform further work.