Skip to main content

Needing help , School thinks I did this..

Kansas City, MO |

The day before the school came and got me, I was using a Blue E Cig on my bus. no harmful oders, no smoke just vapor. they did a bus sweep that night and found weed on the bus. they checked the cameras and saw i had a vape , and they assume its my weed. i got searched the next day and came up with nothing. they took a screw driver and Allen wrenches i had from previous day that i helped my uncle move with and labeled it as "Packing tools" now this Tuesday I have to meet a super attendant and Im going to give them my story, but I dont want to get charged for something i had nothing to do with any advice?

Attorney Answers 3


Your post is hard to understand, so I can only speak in the general: schools are not courts of law, so the rules of investigation and evidence, and "innocent until proven guilty" do not apply. Schools can rely on hearsay and circumstantial evidence to discipline. Your parents can hire an education law attorney to fight the school if they want to. If you are under threat of criminal charges, your parents should hire you a criminal defense attorney. If they can not afford one, if charges are brought, you will be appointed a public defender.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment



I can understand but the school is going to talk to me about dropping charges


I agree with Attorney Sargeant in all respects. If the "charge" you refer to can subject you to criminal prosecution, you must consult a criminal defense attorney in your area before proceeding.

Mark as helpful


I previously responded to your question, however I see you are asking it again in hopes I think of a different answer. Both of my colleagues have reiterated what I told you previously. You should get representation for your hearing with the superintendent.
Best of luck.

NO LEGAL ADVICE GIVEN. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship set forth in a written document executed by the client and by me or a member of my firm. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. My law firm does NOT provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your case. I can give advice, make recommendations and answer specific questions only after reviewing the evidence and documents applicable to a specific client and following a personal meeting in my office in which the relevant facts can be developed and analyzed. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal administrative law; professional licenses and permits; education law; employment and labor law; and litigation matters in state and federal courts. Our practice is limited to the States of Oregon and California. If you have a case in any other state we would not be able to assist you. Unless we have a signed written fee agreement you are not my or my firm's client.

Mark as helpful

Education law topics

Recommended articles about Education law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics