Skip to main content

Need to sue University. They are trying to make students fail, make it hard for anyone to graduate so they could collect money.

Miami, FL |

Need to sue a University for not fulfilling their promises. Because of the illness needed to take incomplete grade on a few courses, when trying to contact to finish the course, did not receive any response from neither professors nor department head. Now i have failed those classes, which lowered my GPA. School is trying to collect payment for the courses, that they did not let me finish. I believe they were discriminating against my illness, and would not cooperate even though said they would before i sign up for the course. Even before the illness, school would not be consistent on which credits transfered over and which would not, resulting in double work and more payments. Please let me know if there is anything that i can do?

Attorney Answers 3


Read the school policies on illness and the procedures stated in the literature about this. If they followed it, not much you can do. If they did not follow it, then you can hire an Educational Rights attorney.

We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I have made do not constitute legal advice. Any statements I have made are based upon the very limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in California.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


Re the issues of grades and transferrable credits: Your school has an in-place administrative grievance process that applies to these issues and you are required to use that process before claiming any rights to bring a legal action. Act quickly to utilize the admin process. Time windows can be very narrow and you may forfeit your rights to any remedy if you do not meet the process time limits.

Re the issue of fees: Of course you can wait to be sued for any unpaid tuition bills. But be careful wrangling with a university about disputed fees. Colleges and universities typically engage in the ultimate self-help against persons with fee disputes: embargo of your transcript.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


It is not clear what you would be suing them over, they usually have the right to charge you for courses you do not complete, unless you drop a course within a withdraw period. if it is a public university, what is at issue is did they follow any administrative requirements, or did you, and if it is a private university, it is a question of contract law. My guess is that this is a private university you are attending, and unless you can prove they breached a contract with you, you will not have a case.

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship, nor does it constitute specific legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Recommended articles about Lawsuits and disputes

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics