Need to sue University. They are trying to make students fail, make it hard for anyone to graduate so they could collect money.

Asked 9 months ago - Miami, FL

Need to sue a University for not fulfilling their promises. Because of the illness needed to take incomplete grade on a few courses, when trying to contact to finish the course, did not receive any response from neither professors nor department head. Now i have failed those classes, which lowered my GPA. School is trying to collect payment for the courses, that they did not let me finish. I believe they were discriminating against my illness, and would not cooperate even though said they would before i sign up for the course. Even before the illness, school would not be consistent on which credits transfered over and which would not, resulting in double work and more payments. Please let me know if there is anything that i can do?

1. Daniel Jon Woodring

Pro

2

Answered . It is not clear what you would be suing them over, they usually have the right to charge you for courses you do not complete, unless you drop a course within a withdraw period. if it is a public university, what is at issue is did they follow any administrative requirements, or did you, and if it is a private university, it is a question of contract law. My guess is that this is a private university you are attending, and unless you can prove they breached a contract with you, you will not have a case.

This answer does not establish an attorney client relationship, nor does it constitute specific legal advice.
  2. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . Re the issues of grades and transferrable credits: Your school has an in-place administrative grievance process that applies to these issues and you are required to use that process before claiming any rights to bring a legal action. Act quickly to utilize the admin process. Time windows can be very narrow and you may forfeit your rights to any remedy if you do not meet the process time limits.

Re the issue of fees: Of course you can wait to be sued for any unpaid tuition bills. But be careful wrangling with a university about disputed fees. Colleges and universities typically engage in the ultimate self-help against persons with fee disputes: embargo of your transcript.

3. Golnar Sargeant

1

Answered . Read the school policies on illness and the procedures stated in the literature about this. If they followed it, not much you can do. If they did not follow it, then you can hire an Educational Rights attorney.