Need to spend savings on something allowable by IRS to bring numbers down

I have a tax liability but my income is 99% of my expenses (I am literally right on the edge). However, I have $1,000 in savings. In order to show the IRS 3 months of tax statements that back up my true financial status, I need to spend that $1,000 on something allowable. Would something like new beds for my toddlers be "allowable" as a household expense? Any other suggestions?

1. I would look at national and local standards the IRS follows for housing, food, out of pocket medical, etc., before spending that $1000.

You may already qualify for deferring payments (hardship) or an offer in compromise you can afford.

Good luck with your situation.

Postings provided on this forum are informal and do not establish an attorney client relationship. To discuss your matter further please call my office at (760) 340-1800 in Palm Desert or (909) 469-5127 in Pomona. In most instances I offer free consultations.

2. You are better off using the $1,000 to make a downpayment on your tax liability. Or to pay a competent tax lawyer to give you advice.