Skip to main content

Need to spend savings on something allowable by IRS to bring numbers down

Los Angeles, CA |

I have a tax liability but my income is 99% of my expenses (I am literally right on the edge). However, I have $1,000 in savings. In order to show the IRS 3 months of tax statements that back up my true financial status, I need to spend that $1,000 on something allowable. Would something like new beds for my toddlers be "allowable" as a household expense? Any other suggestions?

Attorney Answers 2


I would look at national and local standards the IRS follows for housing, food, out of pocket medical, etc., before spending that $1000.

You may already qualify for deferring payments (hardship) or an offer in compromise you can afford.

Good luck with your situation.

Postings provided on this forum are informal and do not establish an attorney client relationship. To discuss your matter further please call my office at (760) 340-1800 in Palm Desert or (909) 469-5127 in Pomona. In most instances I offer free consultations.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


You are better off using the $1,000 to make a downpayment on your tax liability. Or to pay a competent tax lawyer to give you advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Tax law topics

Recommended articles about Tax law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics