Need to learn process for INS (US Citizen married to foreign national with F1 student visa)

Asked 8 months ago - Sacramento, CA

My wife and I just married. I am a U.S. Citizen (by birth) and she was admitted legally (F1 student Visa) into the U.S., but is currently in an illegal status, as she no longer is a student. We have our marriage certificate, so what forms do we need to fill out for the INS, considering that while she was admitted legally, she is currently in an illegal status.

Thanks.

1. Alexander Joseph Segal

4

Answered . You would need to go back in time to before November 25, 2002 for that. INS does not exist since that long.

2. Irene Vaisman

Pro

3

Answered . Speak with an experienced attorney or if do not want to retain an attorney, information is available at uscis.gov.

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created.
  3. Thomas Joseph Baker

1

Answered . i130, i485, g325a x2, i864

Please do yourselves a favor and hire an attorney to assist you. You might be trying to save some money, but if your application is denied your application fees will not be refunded. Furthermore, there are some pitfalls that might land her in removal proceedings if you file...which costs even more money.

4. Tripti Sharad Sharma

Pro

1

Answered . Start by looking up USCIS website for forms and supporting documents.

5. F. J. Capriotti III

2

Answered . I suggest you meet with an attorney (many of us use Skype) to get a good education on the forms/documents/process.

Many times that consultation will be enough for you to get on the right track ... completing the process without an attorney.