Need to know what I am responsible for as a renter who's lease has been up for two years and land lord is trying to sue

Griffin, GA |

In ga and would like some info

Have you be paying rent? Need more information to understand and answer your question.

Please note that I am answering this question as a service through Avvo but not as your attorney and no attorney-client relationship is established by this posting. An attorney-client relationship can only be established through signing a Fee Agreement and paying the necessary advanced fees.

Yes every month for the last 4 years. Our contract was up 2 years ago and the landlord never had another contract for us to sign.we told him we were moving because we were buying a house due to my wife being pregnant.about three weeks before the date for us to move out I asked if we could stay another month and he said no problem. Then I get a call from him about a week later saying he needed us out and that the extra month he said was fine was no longer an option because he was now homeless due to a disagreement between him and a woman he was gonna live with. He says he is gonna sue for repairs over the deposit amount. but it shouldn't be over the amount. And he is doing landscape work because the yard is washing down towards the house.does he have the right to include that as something that was my responsibility. and what exactly are my responsibilities and his as a landlord

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

Your landlord still has to give you adequate notice to vacate. He can charge you for damages for anything more than general wear and tear unless the original lease provided for other types of damage. Finally, he has to itemize the deductions from your security deposit and provide you with written notification. He can't just tell you it went towards repairs.

Can he sue for landscaping due to the rain washing it away.I mowed the grass before we moved.

And I would've had it repainted but he didn't allow time due to him moving back in after he had promised another month but didn't keep his promise

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

He cannot sue for the landscaping. You may be able to sue him for illegal eviction. Consult a landlord-tenant attorney.

Thanks for the info.

Celia R Reed

Celia R Reed

You are welcome. If my answer was helpful, I would appreciate if you would mark it as helpful or best answer. Thank you.

After your lease is up you most likely are a month to month and depending on what the landlord claims rent, damage , etc. you may be responsible. If you have received a summon and complaint take it to a lawyer with all of your paperwork right away. Landlord tenant cases have very short timelines.
Good Luck

If this answer was helpful, please mark as helpful below. Please be sure to indicate the best answer Only If and until you and I sign an Agreement for Legal Services, I am not your attorney. These answers are provided for informational and/or novelty purposes

Landlord-tenant topics