Skip to main content

Need to know how to maintain the Visa Status(F1) after transferring into a different University which doesn't Issue an I20

Toledo, OH |

Hi I entered the US with F1 visa status and now I wish to transfer to another university(State college)however College does not issue “Certificates of Acceptance” (Form I-20) to international students. They say that Students who enter the United States on a student visa (F-1) through another college may enroll in College. However, it will be the student’s responsibility to keep his/her visa status current to be eligible for continued pursuit of a State College degree.
How do I go about this? How can I maintain my Visa Status if the college does not issue an I20?
Please suggest me the way to study at that state college by maintaining the Student(F1) Visa Status

Attorney Answers 4


Unless you qualify as a dependent (spouse or child) or someone who is maintaining lawful nonimmigrant status, you cannot do so.

Mr. Shusterman's (former INS Trial Attorney, 1976-82) response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Mark as helpful

17 lawyers agree


You cannot maintain status with a university which is not authorized to provide status form for international student. Find one that does as soon as possible and seek reinstatement.

The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter,not should it be viewed as establishing an attorney client relationship of any kind.

Mark as helpful

6 lawyers agree


A university which doesn't issue an I-20 will not be helpful in your quest to remain in F1 status. You should attend a different institution in which this is possible. If you are out of status more than 5 months, it could become a serious problem.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


The University must be authorized to accept foreign students and they need to issue an I20

Attorney Robert Brown's (former INS Director, 1972-99) reply to your question is general in nature, and does not constitute legal advice as all facts are known to him. For specific advice or representation you should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law. Mr. Brown's reply on AVVO does not create an attorney/client relationship not constitute legal advice.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics