Skip to main content

Need to know how to change my last name on drivers license and soc security after obtaining CA Domestic Partnership name change

San Diego, CA |

Got my last name changed on my domestic partnership last month and am trying to figure out how to get it changed on my drivers license and social security card. Where do I go to do all this?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Take the court documents showing the name change to the Social Security Office. In addition, you will need documents showing your identity and US citizenship. Passport, ID, Drivers license, Birth certificate are all acceptable. You will fill out a new application for Social Security Card due to name change. Once your application is processed, you can proceed to DMV and change it there. You will probably will have to wait for 7-10 days for the changes of SSN record to go into effect.

The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You need to take documents showing the old name and the new name to the social security office.


You'll need to take documentation of the new name with proof of identity to a Social Security office ad complete their paperwork. Once that is complete (wait about 10 days or so), then take all of the documentation to the DMV.

** LEGAL DISCLAIMER ** My response above is not legal advice and it does not establish an attoreny-client relationship. When responding to questions posted on Avvo, I provide a general purpose response based on California law as I am licensed in California. In reviewing my response, you are specifically advised that your use of, or reliance upon any response I provide is not advisable. I do not have all relevant background details or facts related to your issue / matter, thus I am not in a position to give you legal advice. Further, your review, use of, or reliance upon my response does not establish an attorney-client relationship between us nor does it qualify as a legal consultation for any purpose. For specific advice regarding your particular circumstances, you should consult and retain local counsel. Law Offices of Eric J. Gold Telephone: 818-279-2737 Email: service@egoldlaw.con

Family law topics

Recommended articles about Family law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer