Skip to main content

Need to find an Attorney that will assist a pro se litigant in Divorce/Family law.

Tampa, FL |

I have contacted the Pasco Legal Aid and I do not qualify financial for legal aid even thought I have a current wage garnishment. I am not able to pay an attorney to deal with my case.
However, I need legal assistant and guidance with my case. I am currently in a Custody battle and divorce proceedings in the Pasco County area.

Attorney Answers 5

  1. You may want to see if there is a self help center in your courthouse which may provide you with some information on how to assist yourself in the proceedings. Alternatively, you may want to see if you can find an attorney who is willing to accept a pro bono case. Legal aid may have a list of pro bono attorneys or attorneys who are willing to accept a reduced rate. Another option is to see if any attorneys will permit you to pay an hourly rate to ask questions and obtain advice on how to proceed yourself. Finally, in Family Law cases, attorneys are permitted to do a limited appearance. If there is some hearing or issue that you need extra help with, you may be able to retain an attorney for just that issue.

    Tami L. Augen Rhodes

  2. I practice in Pasco County and I will be honest with you, you will have a hard time finding someone to do what you want. You labeled it a 'battle', which means there is high conflict in the case. Since you do not qualify for legal aid, they have determined that you can afford to hire an attorney. I do not know of any attorney who will guide you through a case and 'ghost' write Pleading and Motions for you because we face Bar Complaints and Malpractice Suits every time we assist a client, right or wrong. In addition, the 6th Circuit that cover Pinellas & Pasco County rarely allows Limited Appearances in 'custody' cases because the lines become so blurred regarding what the lawyer will and will not be responsible for. Your best bet is to call around to find an attorney willing to work with you on a payment plan. Good luck.

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

  3. Your best bet is likely to see if you can find an attorney that will work with you on a reduced rate or a payment plan. You are not going to find a pro bono attorney for this type of case. Call some local attorneys for free consults.

    You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

  4. Many people still have this idea that lawyers are rich and can afford to give away services to the needy. Untrue. Virtually every lawyer I know, especially family law lawyers, have lots of overhead such as salaries of assistants, rent, gasoline, to say nothing of feeding families, and simply can not afford to work for free and many struggle just to stay in business. If you want to talk about a payment plan and reduced hourly rates, give me a call. If you want free legal service, sorry, can't help you.

  5. I would recommend one of two things. 1. Find a newer attorney who will work for a reduced rate ($100 an hour would be considered a reduced rate) 2. Call the Pasco County Bar Association. Sometimes they have rate agreements with certain attorneys to work for like ($50 an hour).

Litigation topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics