Skip to main content

Need to change my B1 visa to J1 visa

Washington, DC |

I am a graduate medical doctor and i was working in my country as a doctor at a hospital and I am not affiliated to any organization or university in my country. I got B1 visa to take USMLE exams -( American medical license exam ). I was lucky to find a research position in a Cancer research center although I don't have a J1 visa. I would like to change my B1 visa to research J1 visa to be a accepted into post graduate program.
would you please give me advice that if it is possible to change my visa status without affiliation to my home-university ?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. You should hire an attorney to help you. Most J1s for foreign medical graduates come with a home residency requirement. An attorney can review the facts and advice if you can file for a H1 instead. Also, you can always get the required documents from the hospital and apply for the visa at the US consulate in your home country.

    Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.

  2. You can change your status to J-1 as long as the institution has a J program for researchers. They will provide you with form DS-2019.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. My colleagues are correct ... you need a DS-2019 ... talk to the people at the research center.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  4. Get an attorney, best advice I can offer.

    The answer provided is for general information purposes and cannot be relied upon. In order to provide legal advice, one must engage with a live attorney; this answer does not create such attorney-client relationship.

Education law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics