Need some clarification on some immigration definitions.

Austin, TX |

What is the difference between deportation and Exclusion/Deportation?

Deportation/removal is for persons already in the U.S. Exclusion is for persons not yet admitted to the U.S. (e.g., apprehended at the airport or at a border post)

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

Carl Shusterman, Esq.
Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
Los Angeles, CA 90017
(213) 394-4554 x0
Web: (English) (Spanish)

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with my colleague. Removal or deportation means that you are in the United States. Exclusion means that you are being kept from entering the United States.

I agree with my colleagues, although I will say that they law now makes no distinction between "deportation" and "exclusion", both are now referred to as "removal" if they occurred after 1997.

I agree with my colleagues.

Simone Coley, Bachand & Bachand; 855-422-2426. 189 State Street, Suite 100, Bridgeport, CT 06604.

Recommended articles about Family law