Skip to main content

Need some advice. 4 year old unpaid traffic ticket. California

Vista, CA |

My license is currently expired because i have an unpaid speeding ticket. I was pulled over a month ago and the officer gave me a ticket for being an unlicensed driver but he also let me know that if i appear in court with my valid drivers license, the judge might not put a misdemeanor on my record and just an infraction and have the ticket dismissed.

My question is, what steps do i take to reinstate my license regarding the 4 year old traffic ticket, will a traffic attorney be able to help me or is this something i have to do myself? My court date for the unlicensed driver charge is in a month from now and would much like to have a valid drivers license then to show to court.

Thank you

Attorney Answers 5

  1. Best answer

    First thing you need to do is lift the hold on your driver's license for the unpaid ticket. If you never went to court on the speeding ticket it may still be possible to appear on the ticket for an arraignment and when you do so, it will lift the hold on your license allowing you to go to the DMV and obtain your license. This could also save you some money by fighting the underlying charges. If you never went to court on the ticket then it is very likely the court added an additional fee of $300 to the fine for what is called a civil assessment. If you plead not guilty and set the case for trial you may be able to win the underlying citation but not the civil assessment unless you have a good reason for not going to court. If the ticket is one in which you went to court , but simply never paid, you will need to pay off the fine before the court will lfit the hold.
    As for your new citation, it could be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or an infraction. If this is your first time being cited it may very likely be proseucted as just an infraction in the traffic court in Vista. If a misdemeanor and you show the District Attorney a valid licene they may reduce to an infraction. If in traffic court, they fine may be reduced and possibly dismissed with a small fee.
    Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

  2. We handle cases like this all the time. Your license is not expired, its suspended. And you are facing a driving with a suspended license charge, which is a misdemeanor. What we do is put the unpaid speeding tickets back on calendar and get an abstract so that your license can be reinstated immediately. When you get a re-issued license, we use it to try to reduce the misdemeanor to an infraction, or get the whole charge dismissed.

    Our 24 hour help line: 310.896.8529 Borhani Pejman Law Firm Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case.

  3. I agree that you have a suspended license. You should go to DMV and obtain a FTA/FTP inquiry to determine what is on your driving record. When you are at the DMV, ask them "what do I need to do to get my license?" Then you should take that information to an attorney so they can clear the tickets. It is very difficult to handle this yourself because the DMV and the Courts will give you conflicting information and an attorney will be able to fix this quickly. You should avoid driving because each suspended license will result in 2 points on your driving record, a fine that can be over $2,000, and in some circumstances there can be a jail sentence imposed. By hiring an attorney, they can get the charges reduced or dismissed.

  4. i agree with the other attorneys. Your license is most likely suspended. Depending on the status of the old ticket you will either need to pay it off or add it on calendar and enter a plea. Both of these steps should release the hold so you can get a license. Is you case at the annex builing in vista or the main courthouse? I handle these types of cases regularly at the Vista courthouse. Feel free to contact me for help.

    Mike Norton

  5. Hire a locally experienced attorney, like Mr. Concidine or others, to assist in getting the hold on your license lifted, then get the valid CDL, then bring proof to court on the newer case.

    Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555