Need some advice. 4 year old unpaid traffic ticket. California

Vista, CA |

My license is currently expired because i have an unpaid speeding ticket. I was pulled over a month ago and the officer gave me a ticket for being an unlicensed driver but he also let me know that if i appear in court with my valid drivers license, the judge might not put a misdemeanor on my record and just an infraction and have the ticket dismissed.

My question is, what steps do i take to reinstate my license regarding the 4 year old traffic ticket, will a traffic attorney be able to help me or is this something i have to do myself? My court date for the unlicensed driver charge is in a month from now and would much like to have a valid drivers license then to show to court.

Thank you

First thing you need to do is lift the hold on your driver's license for the unpaid ticket. If you never went to court on the speeding ticket it may still be possible to appear on the ticket for an arraignment and when you do so, it will lift the hold on your license allowing you to go to the DMV and obtain your license. This could also save you some money by fighting the underlying charges. If you never went to court on the ticket then it is very likely the court added an additional fee of $300 to the fine for what is called a civil assessment. If you plead not guilty and set the case for trial you may be able to win the underlying citation but not the civil assessment unless you have a good reason for not going to court. If the ticket is one in which you went to court , but simply never paid, you will need to pay off the fine before the court will lfit the hold.
As for your new citation, it could be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or an infraction. If this is your first time being cited it may very likely be proseucted as just an infraction in the traffic court in Vista. If a misdemeanor and you show the District Attorney a valid licene they may reduce to an infraction. If in traffic court, they fine may be reduced and possibly dismissed with a small fee.
Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

I never went to court because i assumed my gradparents who i was living with at the time said they will pay for my speeding ticket. Little did i know they did not send a check in. I should have double checked so it is of my own fault. I never received a notification my license was suspended either. When i got pulled over a month ago, i simply did not have my license with me but i told the cop my license # which i had memorized. He cited me for 12500a i I had my dmv history pulled about 2 months ago and this it what it said I went to dmv about 2 months ago and had my dl history pulled and this is what the paper said. File/cond: fta stop 22349A vc 40508a vc (i know this is a fta violation, i actually thought this old speeding ticket was paid off by my grandparents but they never sent the check, thus i never knew that the traffic ticket went unpaid) Id gladly hire an attorney if needed

William Mathew Concidine

William Mathew Concidine

If you never went to court, you can appear at court, or have an attorney do it, and that will lift the hold on your license. if you want to contest the speeding charge, you can enter a not guilty plea and set the matter for trial which will be a few months later. It is possible the officer will not show up or will not remember your incident and you can save a point from going on your license and some money. If he shows, you are in no worse a position then if you paid the ticket. Once you lift the hold, you would need to go get your license. That should help with your new charge of 12500- you will likely get a reduction in the fine as it appears that you were only cited for the 12500 as an infraction as indicated by the "i". This is something you can do, but it will take four court appearances for the old speeding ticket and the new charge which can be time consuming to get it accomplished. An attorney can handle all of that for you and save you lots of time and hopefully some money also.

We handle cases like this all the time. Your license is not expired, its suspended. And you are facing a driving with a suspended license charge, which is a misdemeanor. What we do is put the unpaid speeding tickets back on calendar and get an abstract so that your license can be reinstated immediately. When you get a re-issued license, we use it to try to reduce the misdemeanor to an infraction, or get the whole charge dismissed.

Our 24 hour help line: 310.896.8529 Borhani Pejman Law Firm Legal disclaimer: This response does not create an attorney client relationship and is offered for informational purposes only. Only a lawyer fully versed on the facts and circumstances of your case can properly advise you on the case.

The violation is a 12500A I. Is this the suspended driver license violation? I have not called the court with a 4 year old traffic ticket. It waa my fault it was not paid because i assumed my grandparents paid for it and they clearly did not. I should have checked. If i get an abstract, is there a way to reduce fines? I am just employed part time and hiring an attorney + the fines will be clearly too much for me. Also, will your practice help me with this matter when i hire an attorney?

Also, what does the I stand for after the 12500a? The officer who Pulled me over was really understanding of my case and did Not tow my car. I am just hoping yo get my drivers license fixed asap and everything cleared because i want to drive again. Also, i cant have a misdemeanor on my record as i want to apply for citizenship once i have the fees to apply

Salman Borhani

Salman Borhani

12500 is not a suspended license charge. It's driving without a license. But it may still be charged as a misdemeanor. Getting a valid license will help you greatly, but you have to get an abstract and take care of your old ticket to do that. Reducing the fines entirely depends on the judge's decision. You can call our office if you want to talk further.

310.896.8529 is this your office number mr. Borhani?

Salman Borhani

Salman Borhani

Yes sir.

I agree that you have a suspended license. You should go to DMV and obtain a FTA/FTP inquiry to determine what is on your driving record. When you are at the DMV, ask them "what do I need to do to get my license?" Then you should take that information to an attorney so they can clear the tickets. It is very difficult to handle this yourself because the DMV and the Courts will give you conflicting information and an attorney will be able to fix this quickly. You should avoid driving because each suspended license will result in 2 points on your driving record, a fine that can be over $2,000, and in some circumstances there can be a jail sentence imposed. By hiring an attorney, they can get the charges reduced or dismissed.

Thank you! I figured an attorney would be the best especially when going back and forth the court And dmv is very frustrating. I would really love to get my license back and clear everything. Also, the charge indicated on my court Letter says "12500A I" what is this violation and what does the I mean? The fee was 400+.

I will also go to dmv right away and ask for the fta/ftp. I never knew this as this is the first time ive ever dealt with tickets so thank you again for the help

Tina Marie Barberi

Tina Marie Barberi

A 12500 charge is actually a no license ticket, so you may not have any holds. If the ticket is over 5 years old, it may not be holding the license any longer. You may only need to may a re-issuance fee and take a test. Go to DMV and get your license, then take it to the traffic court clerk and they should reduce your fine.

Tina, I remember i actually went to dmv and had my dl history pulled. The paper that was given to me said that it was updated 10-26-09 File/cond: fta stop 22349A vc 40508a vc (i know this is a fta violation, i actually thought this old speeding ticket was paid off by my grandparents but they never sent the check, thus i never knew that the traffic ticket went unpaid) I am not sure what this means or how much i would have to pay. I am willing to pay but i only have a part time job right now and if its a lump sum, i might not be able to do it.. I just want a license to present to my court appearance next month and no misdemeanor on my record as i want to apply for citizenship. When the cop pulled me over last month, i did not have my license with me as it was expired and i could not renew because dmv would not let me. I told him i know my driver license # and provided him with that. Does this mean he cited me only for unlicensed driving? Will it become a bigger suspended license charge if i go to court? This is all so confusing. Does your office handle cases like this and do you give free consultations over the phone? I just want to get this over with. Thank you so much

i agree with the other attorneys. Your license is most likely suspended. Depending on the status of the old ticket you will either need to pay it off or add it on calendar and enter a plea. Both of these steps should release the hold so you can get a license. Is you case at the annex builing in vista or the main courthouse? I handle these types of cases regularly at the Vista courthouse. Feel free to contact me for help.

Mike Norton
760-420-5537

Its the vista courthouse at melrose. (the 12500a i) violation The unpaid traffic ticket is at chino Courthouse. I went to dmv about 2 months ago and had my dl history pulled and this is what the paper said. File/cond: fta stop 22349A vc 40508a vc (i know this is a fta violation, i actually thought this old speeding ticket was paid off by my grandparents but they never sent the check, thus i never knew that the traffic ticket went unpaid)

Hire a locally experienced attorney, like Mr. Concidine or others, to assist in getting the hold on your license lifted, then get the valid CDL, then bring proof to court on the newer case.

Law Offices of David Shapiro 3555 4th Avenue San Diego, CA 92103 (619) 295-3555