Need legal advice about a roommate trying to keep a friggin SQUIRREL for a pet!!!!

Hanahan, SC |
Filed under: Animal law

Hello,

I have a roommate who's boyfriend and her are trying to raise an abandoned, baby squirrel. I can't see in anything circumstance that it would be legal to own. But even worse, they are feeding said squirrel with evaporated milk, and house it in a moving/packing box with no air holes and a towel covering the top to keep it close and the squirrel from escaping. I want to report this, but the idiots live with us and we don't want to face possible charges and eviction. What legal backing do we have to turn them in and avoid legal trouble for the rest of the people who live here?

In some jurisdictions, squirrels are illegal to own. You need to check your county code or city ordinance. Generally, animal control or the department of fish and wild life enforces the laws pertaining to the keeping of animals. I would also contact your local veterinarian. I once had a similar situation and my local veterinarian knew an organization that rescued baby squirrels. If you have a rental agreement, you need to review it to see what, if any, restrictions are imposed regarding pets.

This is not to be construed as legal advice. I do not have an attorney client relationship with you.

Sounds like your roomate's boyfriend is a little "nuts." Sorry, I couldn't resist. Legally, your lease may have something that prohibits pets or requires an additional pet deposit, etc. Obviously your landlord would prefer that you handle this internally. Otherwise, getting the landlord involved puts you on the radar so to speak. As far as local laws or ordinances prohibiting someone from owning a squirrel, you can check online for your locale for county and city ordinances. I am not aware of a SC state law that addresses this situation. My suggestions is that you and your other roommates tell the girl that everyone is uncomfortable about the squirrel and suggesting that it be turned over to an organization, such as Keepers of the Wild, to be rehabilitated and released.

This response is for informational purposes and is not intended to convey detailed legal advice on specific issues. Transmission of the information contained in this response is not intended to create, and receipt does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship. The attorneys of Futeral & Nelson, LLC practice law only in jurisdictions we are properly authorized to do so and do not seek to represent anyone in any other jurisdiction where this site does not comply with applicable laws and bar rules. This site does not make use of any secure encryption technology, and any transmissions to the law firm of Futeral & Nelson, LLC may be intercepted by third-parties. DO NOT send us any information that you regard as privileged or confidential. The lawyers of the Futeral & Nelson, LLC are licensed to practice law in the State of South Carolina. Readers should not act upon the information contained in this site or the linked sites without first seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in your area.

Animal law topics