NEED LAWYER to represent me on a pro bono or low income Family law/ criminal case basis. I make $1800/mo and pay $718 support?

Asked 8 months ago - San Jose, CA

I live in Santa Clara county and I'm in desperate need of some legal help. The problem is I lost my job and I can't afford an attorney with my HIGH STATUS custody battle. My ex-wife makes over 6 figures and is well lawyered up and I'm still getting tapped for child support for the amount of $718. How I lost my job? I was arrested 5 months ago for possession but have done everything in my power to clear my name. I have no prior record.I want 50/50 custody because I can't afford to see my child under supervised visits. I beg anyone for the love of GOD to please help me. I am feeling helpless and I do not know what to do. I had my child through IN-VITRO when I was financially well she was my miracle baby. I don't want to lose her in my life because of my bad mistake. I just want to be a FATHER

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Edna Carroll Straus

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Ask for attorney's fees from her. And se if DCSS will lower your support obligations.

    All of Ms. Straus’ responses to questions posted on Avvo are intended as helpful information based upon the facts... more
  2. John Henry Perrott

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with attorney Straus that you should try to get the support Order modified downwards. DCSS may be able to help you with that -- you should ask them.

    There are a few agencies that might help you, like Bay Area Legal Aid PH: (408)-283-3700, but my understanding is that they have a long waiting list. You lose nothing by calling them and asking whether they can help you.

    You could also go to 99 Notre Dame Avenue and get a brief assist from the Family Law Self Help Clinic. They might be able to help you enough for you to file a basic Request for Order seeking legal fees from your well monied & lawyered up spouse. Some forms you will need to look over and probably need to fill out to make a fees request include:

    As stated above -- I have NOT actually stated any legal opinion, because I need to know more before I can start to... more
  3. Harris Justin Brumer


    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Recommend you contact the Santa Clara County Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Information Service (LRIS) at:

    You can get some free consultations and may be able to have someone provide you with low cost representation.

    Best of luck to you!

  4. Sean Patrick Lewis

    Contributor Level 17


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Go to the court self-help center and tell them that you want to file for a modification of child support, and then do what they tell you to do. file as soon as you can. you can't modify anything in arrears, but you can get future requirements changed. Do this as soon as possible.

    The above is not intended to be legal advice, but may be used for general information. Please contact an attorney... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,552 answers this week

2,976 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,552 answers this week

2,976 attorneys answering