Need help with fire in garage versa neighbors tree/electric company and insurance for both rare car inside to what I am entitled

Asked 5 months ago - South Egremont, MA

To for contents other than car like motel personal expenses and too many to list! I can't stay in my house cause no power and all items such as furnace, freezers, TVS , computer and much more may be fried due to very high serge caused by neighbors tree falling on wires and knocking power out! Don't even know what kind of lawyer is needed to help?

1. Steven Kelsey Hemingway

Pro

2

Answered . Has your claim been denied by the insurance company or do you just feel like they're taking too long? If the claim is denied, you can certainly appeal it. If it's just taking a while (it happened in mid-May), there's not really much you can do. Claims can take 6-8 weeks to get paid.

On a separate note, was the tree otherwise healthy and some heavy winds knocked it over? Or was it a sick, hollow, or infested tree that should have been taken down long ago? Because if it was the latter, you may be able to sue your neighbor for the remaining damages.

2. Meredith Landmann Lawrence

1

Answered . It sounds like you are relying on your neighbor's insurance company to pay, and they may very well do so. Make sure to tell them all your damages and incidental costs. To the extent you haven't notified your own home owner's insurance of the damage -- also passing along the information you have about your neighbor's insurance -- you should. That way any available coverage from them isn't denied as a result of your failure to report the claim promptly. And they might also be helpful dealing with your neighbor's insurance company.

If coverage is denied, you may be able to sue your neighbor or your own insurance company...you'd need a litigator. And of course, you can hire a litigator at any point to help you: someone who has handled insurance litigation before might be helpful.

Best of luck.