Need Help w/ Hostile Work Environment, Disability Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, Wrongful Termination & Harassment & Slander

Portland, OR |

3 1/2 yrs employed w/ a Hospital...(still there) but am going through an ongoing situation of all the above fore mentioned w/ no resolution in sight. Involves several UPPER MGMT& SUP's & a MAIN TRAINER. Have attempted to resolve it all...but to no avail. Have taken it to Human Resources, Local Union 555, and even brought in a Shop Stewart...and talked w/ our CEO... (BEFORE) I was warned "I AM NOT ALLOWED TO TALK W/ HIM ANYMORE".
I work in an increasingly HOSTILE WORK ENVIRONMENT and it isn't getting any better...I am at my wits end and don't know what to do anymore...SO MANY WRONGS going on @ this HOSPITAL it isn't even funny!! There is so much more to divulge. Where do I start? Can someone PLEASE set me in the right direction? I cannot fight this battle on my own.
Respectfully, Helen

Dear Helen, the sad truth is that "hostile" work environments are often not unlawful or a basis for legal action. What matters, for purposes of legal analysis, is the reason for the hostility toward you in the workplace. You may want to supplement your post with a few sentences about the origin and reasons for the problem. That may help to enable some meaningful and helpful responses from attorneys here.

My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as legal advice. I give legal advice only in the course of an attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by individual consultation and execution of a written agreement for legal services.

Thanks Christine...While working swing shift, one of my immediate Sup's (male) followed me into a "SOILED UTILITY ROOM" closing the door behind him, thus locking me inside...(basically holding me prisoner) by BLOCKING" the door w/ his body. He proceeded to reprimand, verbally abuse & intimidate me . A Nurse attempted to open the door he was STILL BLOCKING. He didn't let her open it more than an inch or 2, told her to: "GIVE US A FEW MORE MINUTES...WE'RE NOT DONE IN HERE YET"! I was "LOCKED" in that room w/ him for approx. 10 min. or so. The gal that tried to get in, was standing there when he finally let me out. She asked me my name, asking also if I was O.K.? I got her name (Janet...not her real name) told her yes but pretty shaken up by what just happened. She told me she stood right there for the duration of the door being closed and overheard everything he said to me, saying that IF I needed her for anything, she would happily tell what she witnessed. I reported the "INCIDENT" to Human Resources and ever since then, he has been "RETALIATING" against me. Just recently, he was allowed to give me my work EVALUATION. We have approx. 25/30 EVS employees (Cleaners) and I am the ONLY ONE that got a NEGATIVE EVAL. and when I told him I ABSOLUTELY DID NOT AGREE W/ HIS EVALUATION and UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WAS I GOING TO SIGN IT...He then told me "FINE then you will be RE-EVALUATED in 3 months and we'll go from there. This is JUST the surface. I do have witnesses (more than one) and documentation on incidents turned into HR...but NOTHING is being done w/ anything. Christine, I hope this clarifies the situation abit more clearly. There is so much more to tell...

Christine C McCall

Christine C McCall

HELEN: FIND A LAWYER IMMEDIATELY! Please make that your immediate priority and, please, post or email again to advise when you have done so. Neil Pedersen and Marilynn Spencer are California employment law attorneys who are very active in the segment of the bar that is involved with employee representation. Either one of them, if emailed privately, may have a sound referral for you. Jay Bozdin in Portland is simply brilliant with a lot of expertise in professional ethics and attorney performance. I would not hesitate to rely on a recommendation or referral from him. Do your homework and get a lawyer ASAP, please. You have a CRITICAL need for strong counsel.

Whether you have a claim depends on all of the circumstances of the problem. It might be worth while for you to make an appointment with an employment law attorney to sort out the situation.

This comment is general in nature and is not intended as legal advice. It does not create an attorney client relationship and obviously is not confidential. You should contact an attorney in your area who can review with you all of the relevant facts and give you specific legal advice.

Recommended articles about Employment