Need Help RE : Welfare / Food Stamp Fraud In Central CA

Asked about 1 year ago - Fresno, CA

I made a terrible Mistake last yr, I was going thru a bank rupcty aftermath , separation and filing for divorce , costs of moving my kids and myself out . Took the worst advise from a friend & filed for food stamps using only income from my pt job, I dishonestly didnt include my full time job. recvd them for 15 mos = $6500. i am j If I am convicted I will go to jail, as Ive researched in my county already- they are hard DA prosecuters- my prof license will be taken away , my EX will find out and take my kids , I will lose my job and have no way to support my family. I have ruined everything Ive ever donein my life by doing this . I received a letter this week from socail services about my earnings from last year. So I know that they will be charging me soon . Any advice please.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Neil Pedersen

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Beg or borrow money to hire a criminal defense attorney and get some advice immediately. DO NOT post anything further on any public internet sites admitting to this felony. Speak one-on-one with a competent defense attorney. This is way too important to try to get quick advice from a site like this. This is a critical moment when you need to do the most wise, most sane thing you can. That is get a lawyer right now.

    Good luck to you.

    This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed... more
  2. Marilynn Mika Spencer

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree completely with Mr. Pederson's good advice. And I've shared your question with Avvo's criminal defense law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law. *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the... more
  3. Loren Nicholas Kleier

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . You need to contact a criminal defense attorney. I have handled similar cases. Given the severe overcrowding in county jails, I would think a good lawyer could get you a deal wherein once restitution has been paid the DA will dismiss the case.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,233 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,233 answers this week

3,085 attorneys answering