Need Help RE : Welfare / Food Stamp Fraud In Central CA

Fresno, CA |

I made a terrible Mistake last yr, I was going thru a bank rupcty aftermath , separation and filing for divorce , costs of moving my kids and myself out . Took the worst advise from a friend & filed for food stamps using only income from my pt job, I dishonestly didnt include my full time job. recvd them for 15 mos = $6500. i am j If I am convicted I will go to jail, as Ive researched in my county already- they are hard DA prosecuters- my prof license will be taken away , my EX will find out and take my kids , I will lose my job and have no way to support my family. I have ruined everything Ive ever donein my life by doing this . I received a letter this week from socail services about my earnings from last year. So I know that they will be charging me soon . Any advice please.

1. Beg or borrow money to hire a criminal defense attorney and get some advice immediately. DO NOT post anything further on any public internet sites admitting to this felony. Speak one-on-one with a competent defense attorney. This is way too important to try to get quick advice from a site like this. This is a critical moment when you need to do the most wise, most sane thing you can. That is get a lawyer right now.

Good luck to you.

This answer should not be construed to create any attorney-client relationship. Such a relationship can be formed only through the mutual execution of an attorney-client agreement. The answer given is based on the extremely limited facts provided and the proper course of action might change significantly with the introduction of other facts. All who read this answer should not rely on the answer to govern their conduct. Please seek the advice of competent counsel after disclosing all facts to that attorney. This answer is intended for California residents only. The answering party is only licensed to practice in the State of California.

2. I agree completely with Mr. Pederson's good advice. And I've shared your question with Avvo's criminal defense law forum, where your question may be seen by more attorneys who practice in this area of the law.

twitter.com/MikaSpencer *** All legal actions have time limits, called statutes of limitation. If you miss the deadline for filing your claim, you will lose the opportunity to pursue your case. Please consult with an experienced employment attorney as soon as possible to better preserve your rights. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer provides information on Avvo as a service to the public, primarily when general information may be of assistance. Avvo is not an appropriate forum for an in-depth response or a detailed analysis. These comments are for information only and should not be considered legal advice. Legal advice must pertain to specific, detailed facts. No attorney-client relationship is created based on this information exchange. *** Marilynn Mika Spencer is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, and can appear before administrative agencies throughout the country. She is eligible to represent clients in other states on a pro hac vice basis. ***

3. You need to contact a criminal defense attorney. I have handled similar cases. Given the severe overcrowding in county jails, I would think a good lawyer could get you a deal wherein once restitution has been paid the DA will dismiss the case.