Need help involving complex landlord, tenant issues.

Baltimore, MD |

I signed a lease on January 1st 2013 for a year with my landlord. I was the only Lessee on the Lease and moved in with 2 other roommates. I didnt have a written agreement between the roommates but we verbally agreed in front of the Landlord that we would split the rent. Everything goes fine until 7 months later in July, the LL hands the property over to a property management because there was issues between roommates. The landlord then stops all communication except a text saying "I have handed it over to property management, Good Luck" That day, I get a unprofessional letter from property management company with all the roommates names to pay to the property management, but now in August, property management is coming only after me for rent. they agreed to new contract in august but did

1. If you're the only person on the lease, then you're the one responsible for the payment of rent. It doesn't matter that your landlord knew that you had 2 other roommates if those roommates were not on the written lease. With no written lease between your roommates and the property management company, they have no obligation to pay. Now, you may have a claim against them for contribution -- but you'd have to prove the existence of the verbal contract between the 3 of you.

DISCLAIMER: Brandy A. Peeples is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. This answer is being provided for informational purposes only and the laws of your jurisdiction may differ. This answer based on general legal principles and is not intended for the purpose of providing specific legal advice or opinions. Under no circumstances does this answer constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship. For legal advice relating to your specific situation, I strongly urge you to consult with an attorney in your area. NO COMMUNICATIONS WITH ME ARE TO BE CONSTRUED AS ARISING FROM AN ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP AND NO ATTORNEY-CLIENT RELATIONSHIP WILL BE ESTABLISHED WITH ME UNLESS I HAVE EXPRESSLY AGREED TO UNDERTAKE YOUR REPRESENTATION, WHICH INCLUDES THE EXECUTION OF A WRITTEN AGREEMENT OF RETAINER.