Need help in New Mexico marriage situation

Asked almost 2 years ago - Santa Fe, NM

my boyfriend and i are Muslim. He left the country last June (2012) and married a woman in another country in the middle east. Then came back. last fall August (2012)we got married in new mexico, it was a religious marriage, not legal. But he also never divorced the woman he married. I know who she is, an she is moving in with us this summer or fall. With him being legally married to her and religiously to me, and we act as a full family unit, are we breaking any laws? Is there anything i should be concerned of? Currently there are no biological children of this union between us two or the two of him. Just children from previous relationships. But we may or may not each carry his child, it is yet to be properly discussed.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. 4

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . This entire set up would be a recipe for disaster.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866)... more
  2. 2

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The state will recognize only one marriage to her. Your marriage is void as polygamy. If you give birth to his child you can claim him as father and later seek child support in a paternity suit, but not as husband and wife.

    Your religion and ethnicity will be accepted by many in Santa Fe, but your threesome less so. I doubt you will run into legal problems but you probably should not reveal these marriages to others. You can simply say you three are housemates. And as for your child, the parents are not legally married. There is no need for others to know more than that.

  3. 3

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . In Saudi Arabia, in Afghanistan or Pakistan you wouldn't be breaking any laws, nor as am almost sure in San Francisco, but anywhere else in the country am afraid that you are.. Even Mormons in Utah or Nevada don't do this sort of thing anymore (at least not in the open...)

    To get a meaningful answer about the legal ramifications of... this "arrangement" you may want to repost this question in the family law section. Let's hope also attorneys from Utah will respond..

    Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,002 answers this week

3,688 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,002 answers this week

3,688 attorneys answering