Need help from attorney in Cartersville, GA

Asked about 3 years ago - Cartersville, GA

I am at my wit's end. Son called two nights ago after being arrested and charged with DUI. We bonded him out (out of state bond is not cheap - 3,000) and now he is saying he has only 10 days to petition to get his license back or it will be taken for a year. He said he was not read his Miranda rights. Is this possible?

I am assuming he will need an attorney; it is a possibility that there may be an attorney who will work with him as far as paying his fee; he does not make a lot of money and I am on Social Security. He is in GA and I am in Orlando, FL.

Your help would be much appreciated...thank you.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Douglas Warren McDonald Jr.

    Contributor Level 10
    Best Answer
    chosen by asker

    Answered . call atorney rick ryzcek 404.406.3197 ;the 10 day appeal must be filed asap, however only if the arresting officer took his physical hard copy (plastic) license.

  2. Elmer H. Young III

    Contributor Level 15

    Answered . Ditto, Ditto, Ditto.

    I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta,... more
  3. James Lawrence Yeargan Jr.


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . If the officer kept his driver's license, and issued him a 1205 form he has 10 business days from the date of his arrest to file a 10 Day Appeal Letter to keep his license from being administratively suspended. It used to be free to file these letters, but starting last May Georgia started charging a $150 filing fee that must accompany the letter. This is not an attorney fee, but rather a fee paid to the state. Miranda rights don't apply to many arrests, and are only useful in a very limited set of circumstances concerning DUI arrests. Most of my clients never have their Miranda rights read to them when they are arrested for DUI.

    James L. Yeargan, Jr. is licensed to practice law in the State of Georgia. All information given is based only on... more
Avvo instant logo@2x

Need an answer to your questions within 15 minutes?

  • 30-minute phone call
  • Ask any questions
  • $99 flat fee
  • Money-back guarantee
Talk to an attorney now

Can't find what you're looking for?

Ask span5@2x

Ask a question on our public forum.

Ask a lawyer
Instant span6@2x

Have an attorney contact you privately.

Right now.

Icon lock@2x
Secure conversation. Your details remain between you and your attorney.
Icon clock@2x
Get an answer guaranteed. Be assured that a lawyer will contact you to help with your legal issue.
Start your session now