Skip to main content

Need divorce from a marriage that ended in 1996. Live in FL and ex lives in NH but not sure exactly where. No child/property.

Port Charlotte, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

Our marriage ended in 1996. We were only married for 2 years. I have had no contact with my ex since 1996. What is the quickest and cheapest way I can get this divorce taken care of. There are no children or property involved. I have been a FL resident since '90s. I know have a 23 month old son. His father and I would like to get married by end of year.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. This is much more complicated now that you have a child. There is no 'easy and cheap' way to do this without knowing where your ex lives since he is the legal father of your child. You need to consult an attorney face to face. Best of luck.

    This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272

  2. You should contact a local attorney about doing a diligent search for your spouse - and, assuming the spouse can not be located - what the requirements are for alternative service, usually by publication.

    Under the rules governing the conduct of attorneys in New York it may be necessary to remind you that this answer could be considered attorney advertising.

  3. You need to speak with a family attorney in your area.

    R. Jason de Groot, Esq.,

  4. Unfortunately, there is no quick and easy dissolution in your situation. Under FL law, paternity for your child is presumed to be your married spouse. A consultation would be necessary to get the appropriate details for your case.

    In any event, it is highly unlikely that you would be able to get divorced by year's end in order to get married to your fiance.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics