Need Divorce - living separately from spouse for last 4.5 years out of a 9 yr old marriage

Asked over 1 year ago - Trenton, NJ

I have been married for 9 years but lived with wife for "only 7 months in total". 4.5 years ago, my wife filed Domestic Violence charges against me and since then we have been living separately with no contact. We also have a 7 yr child from the marriage whose full legal-physical custody was awarded to my wife during the Domestic Violence case and I have not seen my child since then, though I have been regularly paying the child support.

I am now looking to get married again. So my question is - given that we have been living separately for last 4.5 years with no contact, does it mean we are automatically divorced or I need to explicitly file for divorce?

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Andrzej Piotr Szymanski

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You must file for divorce. Being apart a long time has no legal effect. If you are looking to marry, I would suggest starting divorce proceedings ASAP because the process could take a few months. Good luck.

    The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances... more
  2. Ronald Glenn Lieberman


    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to file for divorce to avoid bigamy.

    DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree... more
  3. Thomas S. Durst


    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no automatic divorce. You must file a complaint, reach a settlement and obtain a judgement of divorce. This is the court order that officially divorced you and allows you to get remarried. If you would like to schedule a consultation feel free to contact me.

    This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

28,140 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

28,140 answers this week

3,056 attorneys answering