Need Divorce - living separately from spouse for last 4.5 years out of a 9 yr old marriage

Trenton, NJ |
Filed under: Divorce Bigamy

I have been married for 9 years but lived with wife for "only 7 months in total". 4.5 years ago, my wife filed Domestic Violence charges against me and since then we have been living separately with no contact. We also have a 7 yr child from the marriage whose full legal-physical custody was awarded to my wife during the Domestic Violence case and I have not seen my child since then, though I have been regularly paying the child support.

I am now looking to get married again. So my question is - given that we have been living separately for last 4.5 years with no contact, does it mean we are automatically divorced or I need to explicitly file for divorce?

There is no automatic divorce. You must file a complaint, reach a settlement and obtain a judgement of divorce. This is the court order that officially divorced you and allows you to get remarried. If you would like to schedule a consultation feel free to contact me.

This post is not legal advice and does not create a confidential attorney-client relationship. It is being offered for informational purposes only. You should not relay any confidential or priviliged material in this public forum. You should not rely on this post as legal advice. In order to obtain a more comprehensive answer to your question you should consult with an attorney of your choosing.

You must file for divorce. Being apart a long time has no legal effect. If you are looking to marry, I would suggest starting divorce proceedings ASAP because the process could take a few months. Good luck.

The information provided in this answer is general in nature and may not apply to the factual circumstances described in your question. For a definitive answer you should seek legal advice from an attorney who (1) is licensed to practice in the state which has jurisdiction; (2) has experience in the area of law you are asking about, and (3) has been retained as your attorney for representation or consultation. Your question and the attorney’s answer may be used for promotional or educational purposes. This content does not create an attorney-client relationship.

You need to file for divorce to avoid bigamy.

DISCLAIMER This answer is provided for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you agree and understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site cannot be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed attorney that practices law in the State where this offense is charged; and, who has experience in the area of law you are asking questions about and with whom you would have an attorney client relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific factual or legal circumstance described in the question, or in the State where this charge is filed

Recommended articles about Divorce