Need attorney to sue for damages for official police misconduct and tampering with evidence(2police found guilty already)

Asked about 5 years ago - Newark, NJ

need attorney to sue police dept. % 2 officiers found guilty of 2nd degree conspiracy to commit and official misconduct and 3rd degree tampering with evidence. I want to sue for personal damages. Please provide lawyers/advice. Thank you

1. Ronald Anthony Sarno

Answered . The rules for a civil suit are very different from the rules for a criminal case. Even if the officers were found guilty in a criminal court, a civil court will be looking at the same event in a different manner, including that you must demonstrate serious and permanent loss as a consequence of their misconduct. NJ requires a 90 day notice of a tort claim to the government entity to which the police belonged (state, county, city, Port Authority).
    I would suggest you discuss your legal options with a NJ personal injury lawyer. You can find some of them in the avvo lawyers directory. Look for lawyers who practice in the Essex County area.
    On my profile there are several legal guides. I recommend reviewing the following which may be helpful to you:

Hiring a lawyer; Is it Legal? Is it Illegal?...Understanding the different court systems;
    Introduction to Legal terms used in litigation; Limitations on a Lawyer’s License: What a Lawyer Can and Cannot Do……………………………..…………………………..

LEGAL DISCLAIMER…………………………………………………………………..
    Mr. Sarno is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Sarno strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

2. Steven M Weisbrot

Answered . Without more information it is difficult to evaluate your case but I'd be glad to discuss it with you. Feel free to give me a call 973 467 1060. Thank, Steven