Need an Attorney who knows illegal towing law in Texas. I won my tow hearing, which gave me the right to sue for damages.

Houston, TX |
Filed under: Lawsuits and disputes

My car was towed from a Parking lot. It was towed b/c the police knocked on the window after hours to get a signature from employee to tow my car b/c it was "stolen". It was not stolen nor did the police do this. I have proof from HPD to that affect. Furthermore the tow cost me my job, as I could not afford the tow charge. ALSO statelaw requires signs posted warning that towing was enforced. There were no signs posted. This is reason I won the tow hearing,and the defense used about the police involvement got the judge riled. She told them that the police do not need permission to tow a stolen car. I calculate damages at 2k: 1. loss of use of car 2. Lost wages. And that is low low. This type case allows Att. to collect hourlly rates. I filled the lawsuit. D'fendent wont pay to stop copy cat

1. the best source for you to find an attorney would the the local county bar association. most have referral lists.

2. The laws are specific on towing in Texas. They have to have the signs on either side of ALL entrances. They have to be conspicuous.

The first step is to ask for a tow hearing, which is cheap and easy. The second step is a civil suit, which is much more work, but can wind up rewarding you with a $1000 plus 3x the fees.

Find an attorney who is knowledgeable in this field of the law as soon as you can. As you already know, the law is very specific on this matter and you seem to be already half way home.

Mr. Younger is licensed to practice law in Texas. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Younger strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

3. I found two resources for you:

http://www.texastowingcompliance.com/services.html

http://www.texastowingcompliance.com/ Pat Johnson non-attorney expert on towing?

Hope this helps.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the “good answer” button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/