Need advise on how to keep initial consult concise and short, what to ask/expect from lawyers work.

Asked about 1 year ago - Goshen, NY

I have a consultation with an attorney regarding a post divorce issue regarding my portion of pension and life insurance. Ex looking to reduce what I should receive to increase his current spouses portion.
What is best info to bring into consult with me, what should I be asking of attorney during this consult, and how do I keep hourly fees to a minimum during this whole process until settled?

1. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

6

Answered . Bring in a copy of the pension and life insurance policy. A copy of the divorce and any stipulations would be helpful. A written summary of the case would be helpful.

2. Eric Edward Rothstein

5

Answered . Give the lawyer a concise written summary of the history of the relationship and the case.

3. David Ivan Bliven

Pro

2

1

Answered . It depends on whether you're still shopping around at this point, or pretty much settled on hiring the attorney you're having the consult with. If you're shopping around, then I'd refer you to some of the Legal Guides on my profile page, where I have guides on how to select attorneys & what questions to ask. If you're not shopping around, then make sure to have the complete settlement agreement with you, the divorce judgment & findings of fact. Also be prepared with your income & ex-husband's income info, as well as any support paid.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.
  4. Megan Misiti Cumbo

2

Answered . Bring copies of your judgment of divorce and any paperwork related to the pension and life insurance. Listen carefully to the questions that the attorney asks and answer only that question without giving a lot of extraneous information.

5. Stephen Ross Cohen

2

1

Answered . Prepare your questions three days in advance and look at them every day to see if you want to add something, bring copies of all court papers and tell the attorney what your desired result is. Beware many attorneys will tell you anything you want to here, so always ask one trick question where you feel that relief your seeking is unreasonable to see how the attorney answers.