Need advice on lack of representation by my attorney.

Fort Wayne, IN |

I am involved in a d.u.i. case. I have been appointed a public defender to represent me. However I feel that he has not given me my due process of representation. He has walked out of the court room, on more than one occasion, without standing in front of the judge with me, among many other issues. What are the legal steps that I need to do to correct this issue and get the representation that I am entitled to?

Public Defenders are often very good attorneys that know the law. Unfortunately, they are often so overworked and overwhelmed that things like this may happen. If you need someone that has more time to listen to you, walk you through the process and explain the nuances of the law-you need a private attorney. Further, it is rare for a Judge to remove a public defender for another public defender.

You should make an appointment and talk with your lawyer about your concerns. If he does not address them to your satisfaction, ask if you can get a different lawyer. If you can do so easily, he will tell you. Public Defenders do not want clients who are unsatisfied any more than private lawyers.

As Mr. Doyle said, they are overworked. They get good results, but client (and family) communication often suffers.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

--- Facebook Page

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you. You should NOT assume or otherwise conclude that there is an attorney -client relationship between any reader and this writer or his firm. These comments are only guideposts. They are not subject to any privilege protections. Indeed, these internet communications are neither privileged nor confidential. Accordingly, those using this form of communication need to be guarded in what they write. Because of the nature of these communications the information is general only and should not be relied upon in any specific case. This internet site is public forum, where the communications are not confidential or privileged. There may very well be merit to your defense or position in this type of situation. However, there are hardly sufficient details for an attorney to provide you with some path to follow. It is imperative that ALL of the facts in a particular situation be examined. No conclusion can be drawn from the communication that you have provided. There are some matters that are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Most, if not all, legal matters should not be handled via internet communication. At best, the responders on this site can give you a few hints and guidance. To deal with a legal problem, nothing is better than to consult with a lawyer who will give you some time and advice. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services. Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police:

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights