Need advice on lack of representation by my attorney.

Asked about 2 years ago - Fort Wayne, IN

I am involved in a d.u.i. case. I have been appointed a public defender to represent me. However I feel that he has not given me my due process of representation. He has walked out of the court room, on more than one occasion, without standing in front of the judge with me, among many other issues. What are the legal steps that I need to do to correct this issue and get the representation that I am entitled to?

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Michael Lawrence Doyle


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Public Defenders are often very good attorneys that know the law. Unfortunately, they are often so overworked and overwhelmed that things like this may happen. If you need someone that has more time to listen to you, walk you through the process and explain the nuances of the law-you need a private attorney. Further, it is rare for a Judge to remove a public defender for another public defender.

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20

    Answered . You should make an appointment and talk with your lawyer about your concerns. If he does not address them to your satisfaction, ask if you can get a different lawyer. If you can do so easily, he will tell you. Public Defenders do not want clients who are unsatisfied any more than private lawyers.

    As Mr. Doyle said, they are overworked. They get good results, but client (and family) communication often suffers.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    --- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,796 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,796 answers this week

3,008 attorneys answering