Need advice on annulment laws in USA

Atlanta, GA |

Are the annulment laws mentioned is the site below applicable all over United States?
http://usmarriagelaws.com/search/united_states/annulment_laws/index.shtml
The page at the bottom mentions "An action for an annulment must be started by a certain time. The time limit depends on the type of marriage. The shortest time to start an annulment is 4 years after the marriage". What does this mean? Can one not request for annulment till 4 yrs after marriage?

1. Annulment is based typically based on fraud or on a marriage that is void able for instance where one party is still married to a prior. You should contact an attorney in your area and give him or her the specifics of your circumstances to see if you can meet these criteria. Good luck.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls, letters and electronic mail. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship.

2. There are 50 different state annulment laws in the US, many very different from another. Your question cannot be answered as posted. If you are seeking an annulment, and very few people in Georgia qualify under Georgia's narrow grounds, you (1) need a lawyer and (2) if you want an answer here need to say what state everyone lives in, why you seek annulment, etc. Otherwise no one can answer you.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at geaatl@msn.com . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. Note that I am only licensed in Georgia and thus cannot practice in other states. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.

3. Mr. Ashman is correct. Domestic relations laws are, with limited exception, a matter of state law. As such, the laws governing an annulment will depend on where the petition is filed. The laws regarding annulments are generally very specific with regard to when you can get one. I would strongly suggest speaking with an attorney if you are considering filing for one.

As for your other questions, it seems the language you quoted indicates that an annulment in that jurisdiction must be filed within four (4) years of the date of marriage. It is likely that it would bar an annulment filed after that time. Good Luck!

The answer to this question does not establish an attorney client relationship and does not constitute a privileged communication. Furthermore, it is offered in response to question asked and is based on limited facts. It should not be relied on as legal advice. If you are in need of more specific answers to your questions you should consult directly with an attorney.